News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Diplomacy (2014)

Set in the final day of the German occupation of Paris General von Choltitz has orders to burn the city down before the allies arrive.  Swedish diplomat Raoul Nordling tries to talk him out of it; but defying orders means that von Choltitz's wife and children will be killed or worse.  The film is adapted from a play, and it's obvious.  Even so, and even though everyone knows the ending (I hope) they do manage to bring a good deal of dramatic tension to the story.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Savonarola on July 27, 2015, 10:17:45 AM
Diplomacy (2014)

Set in the final day of the German occupation of Paris General von Choltitz has orders to burn the city down before the allies arrive.  Swedish diplomat Raoul Nordling tries to talk him out of it; but defying orders means that von Choltitz's wife and children will be killed or worse.  The film is adapted from a play, and it's obvious.  Even so, and even though everyone knows the ending (I hope) they do manage to bring a good deal of dramatic tension to the story.
Not based on the board game then?
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 27, 2015, 10:37:02 AM
Diplomacy (2014)

That could make a great stage production.

"You asshole! You were supposed to support my fleet in Med."
"Sorry dude, nothing personal, I decided to support Turkey in Aegean."
"But you promised..." breaks down crying. "My whole life has been like this. Nobody loves me."
"Dude, you're Italy. You're not gonna win. Get over it."

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadBurgerMaker

Five star review for History Channel's ultra shallow "WW2 From Space" on Netflix:

"Very good documentary.  Even though it had many factual errors, <blahblahblah>"

It seems that what makes a documentary "good" may have changed for some people.  :hmm:

Savonarola

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 27, 2015, 10:37:02 AM
Diplomacy (2014)

No, but that sounds like it could be Uwe Boll's masterpiece.  Seven half naked teenagers get together  over a series of years to determine the fate of Europe through a series of underhanded negotiations.

Actually that sounds like it could be an anime.  There would be a dark haired, brooding seventeen year old Napoleon III, an impossibly blonde seventeen year old Otto Von Bismarck with a monocle and a pink haired sixteen year old Queen Victoria in a love triangle.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Un prince (presque) charmant

Successful Paris businessman has an bad luck encouter with a seductive young woman, living of fresh air and whatever she finds on her travels.  Proceeds to fall in love, sell his company for tokens, becomes poor, marries the girl, aggravate France's deficit by paying less taxes every year, doom his only child's future by not being able to provide for her and his grand kid in times of need.

Similar to Pretty Woman, except the girl is not a prostitute, just some artist.

Pretty funny, despite being heavily predictable (as they all are, these types of movies).  The girl was cute though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2015, 03:36:55 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2015, 01:47:02 PM
I bought Kagemusha, Last Temptation of Christ and Heaven's Gate in an earlier sale, when the € was stronger. I'm considering taking The Bridge (Die Brücke).
Or, if you get an interesting voucher, you could take the Cassavetes or Tati boxset.
I don't know what you already have so it's hard to be more specific.

PS: edit for Heaven's Gate, as I thought

Turns out I have about $1400 more than I thought I did in my savings! :o

So I did what a responsible adult would do, and wound up buying:

Rushmore
All That Heaven Allows
Kagemusha
Last Temptation of Christ
My Darling Clementine
Hunger
Ace in the Hole
Sullivan's Travels
and 12 Angry Men.

I also got non-Criterion stuff, namely Focus, The Searchers, Thelma and Louise, and The Piano.

It may be too late but Gavras' movies might interest you as well for their political leanings and direction:

Shameless DVD Beaver ad
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_67/state_of_siege_blu-ray.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_67/the_confession_blu-ray.htm

I loved the Confession and Z (not available on blu-ray unfortunately). I have not seen the first one, State of Siege. I'll buy Die Brücke and The Confession I believe.

Savonarola

The Twilight Samurai (2002)

Set at the end of the end of the Edo period; this concerns a petty samurai who works as a book keeper in the overlord's house.  (Samurai accountant would have made a great John Belushi sketch.)  Times are hard, the Samurai's mother is senile, his wife has died and he's left to raise his two daughters.  Things take a turn for the better when a childhood friend divorces her loutish husband and returns home.  The ex-husband samurai gets drunk and threatens her, and it turns out the accountant samurai is a mighty warrior and defeats the ex-husband samurai with just a stick.  (Accountant by day, Samurai warrior by night would make a great premise for a graphic novel.)  Love blooms, sort of, but the chaos of the Meiji restoration intervenes.

PRC

Quote from: Savonarola on July 28, 2015, 12:25:53 PM

Set at the end of the end of the Edo period; this concerns a petty samurai who works as a book keeper in the overlord's house.  (Samurai accountant would have made a great John Belushi sketch.)  Times are hard, the Samurai's mother is senile, his wife has died and he's left to raise his two daughters.  Things take a turn for the better when a childhood friend divorces her loutish husband and returns home.  The ex-husband samurai gets drunk and threatens her, and it turns out the accountant samurai is a mighty warrior and defeats the ex-husband samurai with just a stick.  (Accountant by day, Samurai warrior by night would make a great premise for a graphic novel.)  Love blooms, sort of, but the chaos of the Meiji restoration intervenes.

Great movie!  If you enjoyed it i'd suggest Yoji Yamada's other films, particularly "the Hidden Blade" and "Love & Honour".

katmai

Since when does Sav watch anything post 1930?!?!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

frunk

Quote from: katmai on July 28, 2015, 12:42:50 PM

Since he got his color corrective lenses and hearing aids.

Savonarola

Quote from: PRC on July 28, 2015, 12:40:19 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 28, 2015, 12:25:53 PM

Great movie!  If you enjoyed it i'd suggest Yoji Yamada's other films, particularly "the Hidden Blade" and "Love & Honour".

I've seen "The Hidden Blade," that was very good; I'll keep an eye out for "Love and Honor."

Savonarola

My wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for silent movies; and she gets angry when I tell her the next plot point of "Fat Guys in the Woods" before it happens, so art films have been the best compromise.

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on July 28, 2015, 12:43:48 PM

Since he got his color corrective lenses and hearing aids.

:P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on July 28, 2015, 12:59:04 PM
My wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for silent movies; and she gets angry when I tell her the next plot point of "Fat Guys in the Woods" before it happens, so art films have been the best compromise.

You might also consider a second television set. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?