Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2015, 08:23:07 PM
IIRC my first date movie was Sophie's Choice.  :mellow:

That will put her in the mood!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2015, 08:45:05 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2015, 03:50:56 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2015, 07:27:17 AM
Saw a mid-90s movie: Leon: The Professional. Featured an 11 year old Natalie Portman in her debut role. She was awesome - easily the best child actress I have ever seen. How she is able to act so well in this movie, yet be so wooden later in Star Wars, I do not know. 

Direction.

The last good Besson film for me.

I'm not very familiar with Besson - I just saw Leon the other day, found it very impressive.

What of his earlier work is worth seeking out?

I like his very first film, post-apocalyptic The Last Battle but it's quite a departure from other post-nuke movies from that era. Shot during some major urban renewal work in central Paris. It would be called artsy nowadays with the B&W photography and no dialog (Syt would find a famous krimi actor there as well  :P). La Femme Nikita a.k.a Nikita is often said to be one of his best. The Big Blue is another great success that I liked but I was not crazy about it. I loved Subway back then but I'm afraid it has not aged that well, '80s fashion in the métro in Paris...

garbon

I think my first movie that I saw on a proper date was 2046. It was fairly sexual but then my date chose poorly and had us watch Dogville when we got back to his apartment. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Lars von Trier on a first date is very risky. :yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Nikita is horrible and The Big Blue is OK (I thought it was good when I saw it but that was ages ago).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on July 23, 2015, 09:37:05 AM
Lars von Trier on a first date is very risky. :yes:

Roman Polanski on a first date is very frisky.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Best date movie is Evil Dead 2.  Never has failed me.

Watched Thelma and Louise for the first time, it having slipped thru the cracks.  Liked it an awful lot, and for the first time in a month something my girlfriend was eager to watch wasn't at least a little mediocre.  Love the sound mixing in that car chase.  8/10.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Taxi.  I don't know if there are dubbed/subbed english versions though.
I think there was a US remake with Queen Latifa some years ago.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on July 23, 2015, 11:00:54 AM
I think there was a US remake with Queen Latifa some years ago.

Avoid this at all costs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2015, 03:50:56 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2015, 07:27:17 AM
Saw a mid-90s movie: Leon: The Professional. Featured an 11 year old Natalie Portman in her debut role. She was awesome - easily the best child actress I have ever seen. How she is able to act so well in this movie, yet be so wooden later in Star Wars, I do not know. 

Direction.

The last good Besson film for me.

I'm not very familiar with Besson - I just saw Leon the other day, found it very impressive.

It is not early but have you seen The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 23, 2015, 12:01:41 PM

It is not early but have you seen The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec?

I actually have - I thought it was a hoot.  :D But it isn't a great movie like Leon - more a fun romp.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Great movies are fun movies :)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Goddamn Banshee.

[spoiler]Stop killing off the hot women[/spoiler]
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

I started watching Deutschland 83. Just the first episode so far but liking it. It's in subtitles which is good as I can pick up a few words in German, maybe learn more. It's based in Cold War Germany, spies, Russian and German intel officials and politics.

Ideologue

So I might be participating in the Criterion sale after all! Small haul, however, since I can only get four. I'm committed to Rushmore (completing my Good Wes Anderson collection) and All That Heaven Allows (hi-def Sirk!), but the other two are more nebulous. I'm leaning strongly toward Kagemusha and Last Temptation of Christ, both blind buys.  Other possibilities include My Darling Clementine, Che, and Gates of Heaven, also blind.  I had intended on getting Watership Down, but I'm not so sure about the former after a rewatch (still like it, but it's got some severe problems) and it's on Hulu anyway.  So! Opinions! Thoughts! Advice!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)