And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on July 23, 2015, 04:04:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2015, 07:16:04 PM
For my first ever movie date, I took her to see The Sixth Day, with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Yeah, we didn't last long. I genuinely thought she would enjoy it!

The first movie date I went to (although it was not a real date at all) it was her the one who chose the movie. It was a quite dumb comedy whose title now eludes me, but I could swear that Rowan Atkinson was in there.

I have a long, long story of disastrous movie dates. Will talk about them when I'm less busy, got a project to deliver tomorrow!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2015, 04:09:42 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2015, 03:50:56 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2015, 07:27:17 AM
Saw a mid-90s movie: Leon: The Professional. Featured an 11 year old Natalie Portman in her debut role. She was awesome - easily the best child actress I have ever seen. How she is able to act so well in this movie, yet be so wooden later in Star Wars, I do not know. 

Direction.

The last good Besson film for me.

But Fifth Element! :o

Meh.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2015, 04:16:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2015, 04:09:42 AM
Saw a mid-90s movie: Leon: The Professional. Featured an 11 year old Natalie Portman in her debut role. She was awesome - easily the best child actress I have ever seen. How she is able to act so well in this movie, yet be so wooden later in Star Wars, I do not know. 

Direction.

But Fifth Element! :o

Meh.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

5th Element is certainly dumb fun. Which is fine I guess, but not a patch on Leon.

Grey Fox

My first movie date was Bring it On.

with my current gf sister.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Ed's first date movie: Jew Süß.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on July 23, 2015, 04:49:05 AM
5th Element is certainly dumb fun. Which is fine I guess, but not a patch on Leon.

Agreed. My contention was that Leon was Besson's last good movie. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

The only one I've seen since 5th Element is Lucy, which was crap.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Movie dates were not a thing in my early teen years, because there was no movie theater in my town and going on the bus for 45 minutes was too much effort. :P

The first movie I saw in theaters with a not-yet-girlfriend date was during my college years - The Horse Whisperer ... twice. And I admit the movie was not as horrible and didn't feel as long as I feared it would be.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2015, 07:43:02 AM

Wasabi is good but he's not the director there. Producer & Writer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 23, 2015, 07:58:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2015, 07:43:02 AM

Wasabi is good but he's not the director there. Producer & Writer.

Besson as producer and writer is even worse than director nowadays cf Banlieue 13/District B13.

Malthus

Direction.

I'm not very familiar with Besson - I just saw Leon the other day, found it very impressive.

What of his earlier work is worth seeking out?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius