News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

Still the classic; what I noticed on this viewing was how they kept switching cameras when King Arthur and the knights were talking to Tim.  Later there were a couple scenes with both Tim and Sir Robin in the same shot, but they avoided that as much as possible.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Saw Ex Machina last night.  I liked it a lot.  For those of you who said the ending was predictable I think you may have missed the meaning of the last scene of the movie.  It was a nice plot of various levels of manipulation and from that point of view it was an interesting character study.   The question which the movie posed very early on and main premise is [spoiler]how did she really feel about him.  Some of you may think you know the answer to that question.  But go back and look as the last frame of the movie which shows her turning suddenly to go somewhere.  Is it to go back to save him after she has gone to view humanity or is it that she has seen enough of humanity and is setting out on her own path.  It is similar to the ending in inception - does it keep spinning or does it wobble and stop.  The viewer perceives the ending they want.[/spoiler] 

Norgy

Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2015, 10:46:27 AM

Still the classic; what I noticed on this viewing was how they kept switching cameras when King Arthur and the knights were talking to Tim.  Later there were a couple scenes with both Tim and Sir Robin in the same shot, but they avoided that as much as possible.

The highlight of Python's productions. It basically has everything.
"Some day, son, all this will be yours!"
"What? The curtains?"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2015, 03:33:55 AM
No Step Brothers, Yi? Guilty pleasure of mine.

Never heard of it.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2015, 02:15:57 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2015, 03:33:55 AM
No Step Brothers, Yi? Guilty pleasure of mine.

Never heard of it.

Will Ferrell / John C Reilly flick. Reilly plays a drummer.

Eddie Teach

It's not a movie *about* drumming.

Kung Fu Hustle. Quite amusing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Did you touch my drumset?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

First Wives Club.  Like Gone Girl without going for the gusto, and intermittently obnoxious.  5/10.

Pervert's Guide to Ideology.  Slavos Zizek talk opera that uses films to underline his points, and sometimes to make them.  Spoils The Searchers and a Soviet film about the fall of Berlin that I should not have been expected to have already seen.  Fundamentally misreads Jaws, or rather fails to push back directly against ideological misreading of Jaws. Jaws is about a shark. Duel is better anyway.  I liked this ok.  One statement at the end really got me: something like, "Why is it easier to imagine an alien invasion or a meteor ending humanity, than it is for any change in humanity's social and economic organization?" 6/10.

I'm also researching and reviewing the Terminator franchise about a week and a half behind schedule.  I like at least 3/5 of them, and one is one of the best movies made in my lifetime. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2015, 03:19:35 PM
one is one of the best movies made in my lifetime. :wub:

Is it TErminator:Salvation? :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on July 15, 2015, 11:47:42 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2015, 10:46:27 AM

The highlight of Python's productions. It basically has everything.
"Some day, son, all this will be yours!"
"What? The curtains?"

"no, not the curtains lad"

Was a time back in my uni days, I could probably recite the whole movie.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2015, 11:15:32 AM
Saw Ex Machina last night.  I liked it a lot.  For those of you who said the ending was predictable I think you may have missed the meaning of the last scene of the movie.  It was a nice plot of various levels of manipulation and from that point of view it was an interesting character study.   
I did not missed it.

The question which the movie posed very early on and main premise is [spoiler]how did she really feel about him.  Some of you may think you know the answer to that question.  But go back and look as the last frame of the movie which shows her turning suddenly to go somewhere.  Is it to go back to save him after she has gone to view humanity or is it that she has seen enough of humanity and is setting out on her own path.  It is similar to the ending in inception - does it keep spinning or does it wobble and stop.  The viewer perceives the ending they want.[/spoiler] 

[spoiler]
She cares only about her, she is a manipulative bitch, that has been made clear from the beginning with the false "help me" scenes.  Why would she ever want to go back for him after what she'd done?  She looks and feel human, the only ones knowing her secret are dead or entombed, why take the risks?  Society would freak out at the discovery of such an AI and she's not the naive type.[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

The viewer will perceive the ambiguous last scene in different ways.  Personal experience probably plays a role in that perception. :P 

Berkut

Yeah, not so much. The scene wasn't really ambiguous when looked at as a whole - if she was going to go back for him, why did she leave to begin with?

She is a AI with incredible computational powers - what, her microprocessor needed more data before deciding whether she actually gave a shit about him or not?

I think any "ambiguity" is a figment of your imagination.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on July 16, 2015, 02:51:52 PM
Yeah, not so much. The scene wasn't really ambiguous when looked at as a whole - if she was going to go back for him, why did she leave to begin with?

doesn't one have to leave to go back?  ;)