News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

21 Jump street movies? They trust someone who was involved with that with an important franchise?

Fantomas was eclipsed by his descendent, The Phantom Limb.
PDH!

Syt

I read an argument recently that 4 billion for Lucasfilm et al was a bit low, considering that Minecraft pulled 2 billion alone, and that Disney is easily going to recover the money with movies and merchandise.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Was it just a flat 4 billion or war there something in there about Lucas getting a share of the profits?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2015, 02:53:50 AM
Was it just a flat 4 billion or war there something in there about Lucas getting a share of the profits?

Half of the deal was paid in Disney shares. I think he owns 1% of the company IIRC, which is very little or a lot, depending on how you look at it.

Norgy

Just watching "The Wire" again. The re-mastered version.

Not a lot's been better television-wise than "The Wire". Has to be up there with the French "Spiral" and HBO's other whammy "The Sopranos".

I wish we did real huge productions here too.

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 07, 2015, 07:59:13 PM
21 Jump street movies? They trust someone who was involved with that with an important franchise?

Miller and Lord are just about the best filmmakers to have come around in the past ten years.  That said, I think they're wasting their talents in live action,,since they're demonstrably the best animation directors to have come around since Clements and Musker.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, Channing Tatum for Han Solo.

Just kidding. I think.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

The Rabbi's Cat (2011)

This is a French cartoon based on a comic book (or "Graphic Novel" if you must) about a cat which gains the power of speech.  It's set in the early part of the twentieth century in Algeria.  The cat engages in lengthy discussions of religion with his master, the Rabbi, and lusts after the Rabbi's nubile daughter.  (Maybe those things together appeal to the French...) That drags on for about a half an hour until the Rabbi discovers a young Russian émigré fleeing communism.  Things pick up significantly as the Rabbi, the émigré, a white Russian soldier and a Sufi cleric with a talking donkey all go out searching for the lost children of Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.  This is a great adventure yarn, but, unfortunately, seems rushed especially given the glacial pace of the first part of the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Admiral Yi

A goodly chunk of Roman Polanski: Odd Man Out.

Learned a few things I hadn't known before.

The girl was really, really young.  She wasn't mature for her age, she was a little kid.

Swiss German sounds nothing at all like German German.  I thought they were speaking Dutch.

Mercedes makes a minivan.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2015, 01:24:02 PM
Swiss German sounds nothing at all like German German.  I thought they were speaking Dutch.

It's more of a throat infection.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Kinda like a Quebecois speaking French
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

The Lost Boys of Sudan (2003)

This documentary follows two young refugees from the Sudanese Civil War as they adjust to life in the United States.  It's done in a cinema verite style without any voice over.  It's best to exercise cautious with what's shown in this sort of documentary; but there were a number of things I found interesting.  The most notable, for me, was that the boys always talk about how we have no time in America; and that seems to be what they miss most about Sudan.  All the Sudanese seemed to develop a prejudice against African-Americans immediately; yet complained about experiencing racism.  The filmmakers showed the enormous gulf between the well-meaning Americans trying to help and the refugees.  This is driven home near the end where a girl interviews one of the refugees for their high school newspaper and he starts talking about being attacked and fleeing for his life while she just stares blankly. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock