And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on June 24, 2015, 01:07:00 PM
Powaqqatsi (1988)

The second of the qatsi trilogy; this deals with the transition from the traditional way to industrialization in the third world.  The cinematography is gorgeous again.  I prefer the soundtrack in Koyaaniquatsi, but this is still a fine work by Philip Glass.

The film was brought to us by (of all people) Golan-Globus.  Really.  The same people who brought us classics like "The American Ninja" series and "Enter the Ninja" made an art house film.

The only one I think that really works is the first one. Glass tooks too much of center stage in the sequels; first one is a perfect marriage of picture and sound; Koyaaniquatsi is more about Glass' music with some nice pictures to accompany it.

Disclaimer: Phillip Glass' music gets on my tits.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2015, 10:45:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 03:36:39 PM
How many episodes in are they on that? Mrs. Berkut was intrigued. She loves the Lost like kind of stuff.

Five, with #6 set to air 6/25.  I hated Lost but this show intrigues me.  I really like it so far, but if a couple questions I have are not answered satisfactorily I will bail.

I, um, came across episode 6 early because I didn't want to wait.  Still intrigued.  A lot has been explained (I think) but there is one sticking point I can't quite get past.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteUtahraptor wasn't named at the time of the novel's or film's conception, nor was Achillobator. As Tim said, the inspiration was likely Deinonychus, another dromaeosaurid which was pretty big (still blown up for the film).  I wasn't aware of its taxonomic history in regards a brief association with the Velociraptor genus, which kinda fucks up a theory I raised in my Jurassic Park review series, although I still think I'm basically correct that the big reason "velociraptor" was chosen was because it sounds cool. As does deinonychus, but quick, pluralize deinonychus...

Not likely, actually: http://news.yale.edu/2015/06/18/yale-s-legacy-jurassic-world

Ideologue

Good find. I was pretty much on the nose then. :) Although I wished it'd confirmed Crichton specifically objected to the inelegant plural.

I liked the part where Ostrom says "It means terrible claw! What more do you want!"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

The Artist (2011)

The single greatest movie made since "Modern Times"!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

:P ;)

The first forty-five minutes of the film (where it's mostly comedy,) are great.  After that the film takes a turn into drama, and there the film runs into trouble. There the story becomes dull and repetitive.  There's a payoff at the end; but getting there is trying.

George Valentin is supposed to be a Douglas Fairbanks/John Gilbert hybrid; but I thought he looked a lot more like Adolph Menjou, especially with the suits.

The silent film Valentin makes might have been a hit overseas in1929.  1929 was the year of "Pandora's Box" in Germany (as well as "Arsenal" and "Man with the Movie Camera" in the Soviet Union.)  Even as late as 1931 what remained of Stroheim's "Queen Kelly" was released in Europe.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

They're making a movie about the national team that won the EC '92. From the trailer it seems to idolize the coach that no one really liked until he died a few years ago... :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Just like politicians. They are total scum until they die. Then they were heroes who we wish the scum of the current generation could live up to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2015, 10:11:14 AM
The Artist (2011)

The first forty-five minutes of the film (where it's mostly comedy,) are great.  After that the film takes a turn into drama, and there the film runs into trouble. There the story becomes dull and repetitive.  There's a payoff at the end; but getting there is trying.

George Valentin is supposed to be a Douglas Fairbanks/John Gilbert hybrid; but I thought he looked a lot more like Adolph Menjou, especially with the suits.

The silent film Valentin makes might have been a hit overseas in1929.  1929 was the year of "Pandora's Box" in Germany (as well as "Arsenal" and "Man with the Movie Camera" in the Soviet Union.)  Even as late as 1931 what remained of Stroheim's "Queen Kelly" was released in Europe.

I was expecting a movie review telling that Mel Brooks did it much better with Silent Movie. :(  :D

viper37

Ex-Machina.

Not bad, but the movie is so predictable and simplistic that you're left empty after watching this.  Still the way it is shot, the constant contrast between the vast, open space exterior and the claustrophobic inside is worth watching in itself.  There are artistice merit to this movie, sure, but that does not warrant rewatching it later, in a few years.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

I dunno, I got the blu-ray preordered. Pretty handily best film of the year so far. It is predictable, true, but most horror movies seeking to advance an atmosphere of doom will be predictable in their broad strokes. I mean, The Fly is predictable, just for one example. And even then it goes further than I'd expected. Love that movie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on June 26, 2015, 10:42:31 AM
I dunno, I got the blu-ray preordered. Pretty handily best film of the year so far. It is predictable, true, but most horror movies seeking to advance an atmosphere of doom will be predictable in their broad strokes. I mean, The Fly is predictable, just for one example. And even then it goes further than I'd expected. Love that movie.
Yeah, but usually, we slam a movie because it is über predictable.  From the 2nd power outage on, you know exactly where this is going.  It kinda ruins the fun for me.  I mean, with the Avengers, you know the good guys are going to win, but you don't know how.  In Ex Machina, you know everything.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on June 24, 2015, 01:07:00 PM
Powaqqatsi (1988)

The second of the qatsi trilogy; this deals with the transition from the traditional way to industrialization in the third world.  The cinematography is gorgeous again.  I prefer the soundtrack in Koyaaniquatsi, but this is still a fine work by Philip Glass.

The film was brought to us by (of all people) Golan-Globus.  Really.  The same people who brought us classics like "The American Ninja" series and "Enter the Ninja" made an art house film.

Golan-Globus actually indulged in vanity/art house projects more often than not. Sometimes for a good result, with Cassavetes, with Love Streams, or Barbet Schroeder's Barfly, sometimes for the worst, Godard and his King Lear. Very experimental, even by Godard's standards of the '80s.
Even Zefirelli said good things about the Go-go boys when they allowed him to produce Othello.

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 26, 2015, 08:07:32 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2015, 10:11:14 AM
The Artist (2011)

I was expecting a movie review telling that Mel Brooks did it much better with Silent Movie. :(  :D

:lol:

It's been a long time since I've seen Silent Movie.  I don't remember it being one of Mel Brooks' better films.  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2015, 01:23:49 PM

The only one I think that really works is the first one. Glass tooks too much of center stage in the sequels; first one is a perfect marriage of picture and sound; Koyaaniquatsi is more about Glass' music with some nice pictures to accompany it.

Disclaimer: Phillip Glass' music gets on my tits.

I like Philip Glass's music, but I agree that only Koyaaniqatsi where the film and music seem to work together.  I thought the visuals were stunning in Powaqqatsi; but I didn't think the music was some of his better.  I thought the music was great in Naqoyqatsi; but the visuals were uninteresting.

I loved the translation of Naqoyqatsi as "Civilized Violence;" I might steal that phrase someday.  :shifty:

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 26, 2015, 11:31:14 AM
Golan-Globus actually indulged in vanity/art house projects more often than not. Sometimes for a good result, with Cassavetes, with Love Streams, or Barbet Schroeder's Barfly, sometimes for the worst, Godard and his King Lear. Very experimental, even by Godard's standards of the '80s.
Even Zefirelli said good things about the Go-go boys when they allowed him to produce Othello.

I didn't know that; I had only heard of Golan-Globus from the fine films I had mentioned before.  So when I saw their logo at the end I went  :huh: