News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

What's incomprehensible about the Å?!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

It is not as comprehensible and clear as Polish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 03:36:39 PM
How many episodes in are they on that? Mrs. Berkut was intrigued. She loves the Lost like kind of stuff.

Five, with #6 set to air 6/25.  I hated Lost but this show intrigues me.  I really like it so far, but if a couple questions I have are not answered satisfactorily I will bail.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Sucks about Hannibal. Although I haven't been enjoying it as much this year.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Banshee.
What it lacks in originality it makes with pure fun :)
Yeah, it's predictable and stupid.  But I like it anyway :P
Seeing the Sheriff go toe to toe with that MMA fighter, you knew it was going to happen from the beginning of the episode (S01E03), yet, it was fun.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Koyaanisqatsi (1982)

I had seen this before as a live performance with Philip Glass.  I liked it a lot better this time; I appreciated the cinematography a lot more on the small screen.  It's more of an experience than it is a movie.  The film is deliberately ambiguous; there's no story, so you're forced to make up your own narrative.  Mostly it concerns the modern world; the individual scenes are mostly set up as cityscapes.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

Bummed about the Hannibal news but it didn't come as a surprise. The ratings weren't very good for it. I'm just happy a show like it got a decent run.

Hopefully someone else will end up picking up the series sometime in the future.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Idiocracy.

Probably my favorite cult movie from the 00s.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Looks fun, though it's not around here or on VOD as yet.  This week I hope to get through The Nightmare, Manglehorn, and Joe Dante's newest ( :) ), Burying the Ex, along with the science fiction productions of William Alland after the Black Lagoon series.  Plus I'd like to start a 50s melodrama series with Sirk's Magnificent Obsession.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Powaqqatsi (1988)

The second of the qatsi trilogy; this deals with the transition from the traditional way to industrialization in the third world.  The cinematography is gorgeous again.  I prefer the soundtrack in Koyaaniquatsi, but this is still a fine work by Philip Glass.

The film was brought to us by (of all people) Golan-Globus.  Really.  The same people who brought us classics like "The American Ninja" series and "Enter the Ninja" made an art house film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2015, 11:15:44 PM
Bummer about Hannibal. :(

I've seen a lot of stuff over the past month, including Frida (C+)

:mad:

Those were at least Ds.

:mad:

;)

It's too bad they didn't put at least a scene in Detroit; maybe as a setup for (or counterpoint to) Rivera's subsequent fall in New York.