News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Mad Max reviews are starting to come out and they are brilliant. So pumped for it.

Eddie Teach

Mad Men is really going out with a whimper. Be relieved when it ends next week.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2015, 12:26:45 PM

it's a glorious show. these final episodes have been outstanding.

Eddie Teach

They have stood out in how much drearier they are than earlier seasons, I suppose.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2015, 12:26:45 PM

It's one of these wildly (and widely) acclaimed shows I just never got into. I think I watched 2 episodes or so.

Josquius

Noah (Russel Crowe)- Well that...was unexpected. A fantasy version of Noah. Yes, yes, the original is fantasy too. But you know what I mean. Its halfway like Lord of the Rings or something. Very strange take set in a strange world that doesn't bare much similarity to what I know of the cross god's stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Mad Men was good in the first two seasons mostly because of its unique setting...an office enviornment in the sixties. It was cool to see people smoking, patting women's asses, having six martini lunches, driving drunk. The advertising enviroment was unique as well, and watching them work on advertising campaigns was good. But the show started to move away from that and became more and more about Don, corporate takeovers and domestic disputes, less unique/original stories.

it got old quicker than capri pants.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

So last night, Timmy says "Lets watch that Spaceship show".

I go: :huh:

You know, the one with the green spaceship where they fly around space?

Umm, Futurama? (which I was watching a few months ago)

Yeah - let's watch that!

So we watched the first couple episodes of Futurama together.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I'm at a Jewish community centre waiting to watch A Little Chaos (£5 for a recent film, I'm in!) and I can't help feeling a little sad about how many security guards are needed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

maybe they're expecting....ahem...a little chaos?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2015, 12:43:37 PM
maybe they're expecting....ahem...a little chaos?

BOOOOOOO  :lol:

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
Noah (Russel Crowe)- Well that...was unexpected. A fantasy version of Noah. Yes, yes, the original is fantasy too. But you know what I mean. Its halfway like Lord of the Rings or something. Very strange take set in a strange world that doesn't bare much similarity to what I know of the cross god's stuff.

I saw Noah, it was pretty good. A funny anecdote was that while filming it on the coast, I think New Jersey or Manhattan, a severe storm or hurricane came in, and they had to cancel shooting. Good thing they already had an Ark where they could wait out the storm!   :)

garbon

A Little Chaos was everything I wanted/needed it to be. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I saw a documentary "Breaking the Maya Code", which was awesome. Even if it lacked ancient aliens or mystic crystal skulls.  :D

Rather, it was an account of the ultimately successful, decades-long attempt to decipher the Mayan hieroglyphic language.

The various means used to do so (and it was done in little bits and stages) were ingenious; the cast of characters, amazingly eccentric.

For example: one of the key figures in the decipherment was a fellow who had no relationship to things Maya at all - he was a Soviet soldier in WW2, who happened to come accross, in the flaming wreckage of Berlin, a copy of the existing Mayan codices -- and became obsessed with figuring out how to read them. He had considerable success - but was ignored because he was, after all, a commie Russian in Stalin's Soviet Union in the 1950s - hardly a hotbed of Mayan studies (a fact that was, as explained in the show, actually an advantage - as the giants in Mayan studies at the time were both dead wrong and highly influential). 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Not even one mention of ancient aliens? Crap documentary, must be all made up.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom