News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

"Duet" was a pretty good first season episode.

Ideologue

I'm not saying there are no good ones other than the ones I mentioned (and Duet is rad).  Indeed, they're all pretty much somewhere between okay and good (I even like Move Along Home, which is retarded).  But there's hardly any there there until S3, so I just listed the ones I recalled that one really kind of needs for the later seasons--the premise in the first episode, the first major Garak story, and the first appearance of the Jem'Hadar (and Weyoun).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Been watching the first eps of Gotham. It's pretty entertaining, and has a suitable, yet not excessive, over-the-top feel. It's a comic book procedural and I like that.

Alfred is a bit of a cunt  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2015, 03:50:38 PM
Been watching the first eps of Gotham. It's pretty entertaining, and has a suitable, yet not excessive, over-the-top feel. It's a comic book procedural and I like that.

Alfred is a bit of a cunt  :lol:

Yeah it's probably the best of the new slew of superhero TV shows right now. The only beef I have with it is not enough hot guys.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

citizen k

From DS9, "Once More Unto the Breach" is the best Klingon-centric episode of any Star Trek.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 10:38:12 AM
Are they doing a trilogy...or just a one-off?
3 movies related to the main trilogy, 2 other independant spin-off in the SW universe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on April 18, 2015, 04:04:33 PM
Gotham is shite

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely starting to wear. Feels like all the interesting characters and plots are locked away too far in the future.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2015, 03:18:10 AM
A video about the creation of the Star Wars Despecialized Edition, a fan effort to recreate the original theatrical release of Star Wars in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=654&v=dHfLX_TMduY

:nerd:
I'm far too interested in this project:  https://swrevisited.wordpress.com/  It's an attempt to edit the blu-rays into more consistent films in terms of effects, costumes, and the like.  Amazing work by the people involved.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

The Champ. Ok movie. Not as fun as Paper Moon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Caught the part of Rush that I hadn't seen before.  Some good scenes, my favorite being the hitchhiking scene.  Still not a terribly good movie.

celedhring

DS9 was cancelled after just one season in Spain and never aired again. Never released on DVD. Every trekkie I know tells me it's the best modern Trek series and I feel robbed.

Syt

Just read a news article about movie theaters in Schleswig-Holstein. There's 66 theaters, but a lot of them are struggling. Many of them consider not showing any future Disney movies, including the new Avengers flick. Disney has raised the share small theaters have to from 47.7% to 53% of the ticket sales. The theaters claim that they're barely profitable as it is, and that they just can't afford to pay a higher rate. So it might be that in future the blockbusters will only be shown in the bigger cities (Kiel, maybe Lübeck, Flensburg, Neumünster) which in turn might kill many theaters in the countryside.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 19, 2015, 04:56:30 AM
Just read a news article about movie theaters in Schleswig-Holstein. There's 66 theaters, but a lot of them are struggling. Many of them consider not showing any future Disney movies, including the new Avengers flick. Disney has raised the share small theaters have to from 47.7% to 53% of the ticket sales. The theaters claim that they're barely profitable as it is, and that they just can't afford to pay a higher rate. So it might be that in future the blockbusters will only be shown in the bigger cities (Kiel, maybe Lübeck, Flensburg, Neumünster) which in turn might kill many theaters in the countryside.

That's a good deal, over here distributors can carry up to 60% for big movies. And I believe it's similar in the US.