News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Ideologue

He's lived the hard lifestyle of a director of photography.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

So, having finally caught up with Gotham, and going by my earlier definition, there is so far one superhero on the show. It's [spoiler]Alfred[/spoiler]. :D

Syt

Terminator Genisys trailer.

Uhm. What the heck?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2014, 01:48:44 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 04, 2014, 01:09:16 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2014, 01:06:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 04, 2014, 01:04:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2014, 12:58:24 PM
Delbonnel is hardly low profile these days. Has done quite a few big Hollywood movies. His work for Inside Llewyn Lewis was one of the best things of the film (which bored me to tears).

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and Dark Shadows.

Come on, he has *four* Oscar nods to his name.

Compared to Deakins who has..........

QuoteAwards and nominations

Academy Award for Best Cinematography

1994: The Shawshank Redemption (nominated)
    1996: Fargo (nominated)
    1997: Kundun (nominated)
    2000: O Brother, Where Art Thou? (nominated)
    2001: The Man Who Wasn't There (nominated)
    2007: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (nominated)
    2007: No Country for Old Men (nominated)
    2008: The Reader (nominated)
    2010: True Grit (nominated)
    2012: Skyfall (nominated)
    2013: Prisoners (nominated)

American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Award for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography

1994: The Shawshank Redemption (won)
    1997: Kundun (nominated)
    2001: The Man Who Wasn't There (won)
    2007: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (nominated)
    2007: No Country for Old Men (nominated)
    2008: The Reader (nominated)
    2008: Revolutionary Road (nominated)
    2010: True Grit (nominated)
    2012: Skyfall (won)
    2013: Prisoners (nominated)

BAFTA Award for Best Cinematography

2001: The Man Who Wasn't There (won)
    2007: No Country for Old Men (won)
    2010: True Grit (won)
    2012: Skyfall (nominated)

Independent Spirit Award for Best Cinematography

1991: Homicide (nominated)
    1996: Fargo (won)
    2009: A Serious Man (won)

That's a whole different matter, but that doesn't turn Delbonnel into a "shit" DoP. He's actually pretty great.
Certainly not, I counter your claim of
QuoteHas done quite a few big Hollywood movies.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Harry Potter and Dark Shadows are as big as they get; Shadows was a bomb but it had a really big budget.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2014, 02:22:44 PM

Uhm. What the heck?

Just seen it, looks terrible. I think the whole "time travel to save XXXX" premise has been run into the ground by now. There was a chance to make a cool film about the war against the machines, but Salvation ruined that.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2014, 03:23:01 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2014, 02:22:44 PM

Uhm. What the heck?

Just seen it, looks terrible. I think the whole "time travel to save XXXX" premise has been run into the ground by now. There was a chance to make a cool film about the war against the machines, but Salvation ruined that.

I want to see a parody where a Terminator gets sent back in time to save the franchise by terminating everyone who wanted to keep making movies after T2.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2014, 12:47:28 PM
The revenge against M plot didn't do it for me. You want a "personal" villain, fine, but make it about Bond, not a goddamn supporting character.
I think if it was against Bond you'd end up with M selling Bond out and it would suddenly turn a little Bourne-ish which would be awful. I thought Dench's M deserved that send off rather than a peaceful retirement. But Bond plots are always, always preposterous (if they're not they're tedious) and in my view largely depend on the calibre of the villain. Bardem was very good.

Spectre sounds promising.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

The Terminator is a completely awesome movie. Sequels are meh at best.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

MiB3. I liked it. So much better than 2.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on December 04, 2014, 03:47:51 PM
The Terminator is a completely awesome movie. Sequels are meh at best.

James Cameron FTW

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Incidentally, I don't know if this works for foreigners, but I thought it may be of interest:
http://player.bfi.org.uk/
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2014, 12:40:39 AM
Incidentally, I don't know if this works for foreigners, but I thought it may be of interest:
http://player.bfi.org.uk/

Content Unavailable
The video is not authorized for your location (US)

:(