And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

SG-U: Blah lost intrest
Atlantis: meh doubtful I'll make it much into S2
SG-1: Tried again and couldn't make it past the  third episode.
Defienace: meh
Revelution: gay premise.
B5: haven't yet tried to get into it next on list.
Helix:  :rolleyes:
Falling Skies:  :rolleyes:
Ascension: hopefully

Running out of choices.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2014, 12:01:36 AM
Ascension: hopefully

Isn't that just a 3 night miniseries?

I've been enjoying Z Nation. It's dumb but fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I need to give Helix a shot.  I like mad science.

Watched The Ring (2002) for the first time (what can I say? I was drunk most of that year).  First thing is that the movie is kind of really well-made, on a technical level.  Second thing, they show Naomi Watts in her underwear.  It's just for a moment, and it's tasteful, but Gore Verbinski (of Lone Ranger infamy) knew what he was doing, as did Watts herself, and this counts as a real plus factor.  Third thing... [spoiler]for some reason I thought it was, in its essentials, The Changeling.  NOT SO.  I mean, it is, but then it really isn't.[/spoiler]  A+--put that in your morally ambiguous pipe and smoke it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

I liked The Ring.  It was scary  :o, and then it was sad  :cry:, and then it got scary :o again.

Ideologue

The only real misstep is the centipede.  Creepy?  Yes.  But it's New England. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2014, 10:08:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2014, 08:51:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2014, 07:59:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2014, 12:57:16 AM
Little spoiled rat bastards.  In my time, you either had a red astronaut or a white astronaut.  That was it during the Cold War.  Those were your choices during the Reagan Administration.  None of this merchanidizing agreements.  We had to invent a Darth Vader Lego, goddammit.
This is patently false.  There was also a blue astronaut and a yellow astronaut.

Sounds like something Canada would do.  Metric Legos and shit.
These were US Legos.  You just didn't get any, due to the aforementioned cheapness of your Santa and parents.

I never got the point of the yellow astronaut. Making the suit the color of his face makes him look like a nudist with a bit of space gear attached and a strange tattoo on his chest:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

The Ring really was very good.

Ide seems to be coming around, apparently my schooling of him worked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2014, 09:24:16 PM
It's a loving, wonderful homage.

You always love style over substance and I'll admit it has good cinematography and camera work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on November 30, 2014, 01:22:31 AM
The Ring really was very good.

Ide seems to be coming around, apparently my schooling of him worked.

I think your opinions are interesting and worth discussing, even if I don't always agree.  But I'm glad that this time we do.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on November 30, 2014, 01:34:19 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2014, 09:24:16 PM
It's a loving, wonderful homage.

You always love style over substance and I'll admit it has good cinematography and camera work.

It's Raimi, though: to a large degree, style is his substance. :)
Kinemalogue

celedhring

I was okay with the Quick and the Dead; its main problem is that it constantly remembered me of the vastly superior films it's homaging.

The cast is absurdly good. Gene Hackman can chew as much scenery as he wants.

Sheilbh

That's not true, especially not in film. But anyway an homage is about style. It's not Raimi's best, but it's great.

I enjoyed the Ring. But I made the mistake of going to see it in the cinema, so I mostly missed the :( bit because I was asleep :(
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Saw Interstellar in IMAX. Very good, probably Nolan's best since Dark Knight.

Things I liked:
The score
The acting
The plot
The visuals

Things I didn't like so much:
Nolan's proclivity for expository dialogue, though it wasn't nearly as bad as Inception

Overall, using the Christopher Nolan 'Michael Caine' scale, 1 Michael Caine being Inception and 5 being The Dark Knight, I give this 4 1/2 Michael Caines out of 5.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Morituri. Marlon Brando mumbles in a German accent. It was pretty good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2014, 06:05:30 AM
That's not true, especially not in film. But anyway an homage is about style. It's not Raimi's best, but it's great.

I enjoyed the Ring. But I made the mistake of going to see it in the cinema, so I mostly missed the :( bit because I was asleep :(

The Ring: 115 whole minutes long. :P
Kinemalogue