News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Hard to beleive there's only three eps of Homeland left....seemed like it just started
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

TOS s1ep15

Spock's dad was a Romulan first. :-o
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 25, 2014, 01:14:26 AM
TOS s1ep15

Spock's dad was a Romulan first. :-o

Yep. Still a great episode, even though obviously modeled after WW2 destroyer vs. sub action.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in the new The Stand?

http://comicbook.com/2014/11/24/matthew-mcconaughey-will-reportedly-play-randall-flagg-in-stephe/

Decent choice, I'd say, though Jamey Sheridan was pretty good in the 1990s miniseries.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Glad they are making a new adaptation, the 90s mini is pure 90s schlock and it deserves better.

I know it's how he dresses in the book, but full denim  :bleeding:

Syt

He's described as wearing full denim in the book, too (and in Dark Tower as well). So blame King's 1970s tastes. :P EDIT: celedhringed!

I actually liked the mini series despite their changes to the material. And the casting was pretty damn good for most of the roles - like Max Headroom as Trashcan Man or Tom Cullen. And it had Miguel Ferrer. Everything is great with Miguel Ferrer.

I'm surprised they're actually turning it into four movies, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2014, 04:36:13 AM
He's described as wearing full denim in the book, too (and in Dark Tower as well). So blame King's 1970s tastes. :P EDIT: celedhringed!

I actually liked the mini series despite their changes to the material. And the casting was pretty damn good for most of the roles - like Max Headroom as Trashcan Man or Tom Cullen. And it had Miguel Ferrer. Everything is great with Miguel Ferrer.

I'm surprised they're actually turning it into four movies, though.

Me too. It's been long since there was a hit movie based on a Stephen King book, so I'm surprised they are willing to splash so much cash on something that isn't a YA property nowadays. Particularly such a bleak and weird book (I love it, mind).

Wouldn't surprise me this ends up getting axed like the Dark Tower films.

Viking

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 24, 2014, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 24, 2014, 12:52:33 PM
Attack on Titan = Excellent

Surprisingly, yes.  I didn't think I was going to like it.

I can't watch it without thinking about the solution to their problem being a hot drop with an Atlas lance, though. :P

I kept thinking that these people have the ability to machine the ODM gear; which takes quite a bit of precision machining; would have been able to use that to machine turreted breech loading artillery which could be used to aim at the titans weakspots.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2014, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 24, 2014, 04:20:24 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 24, 2014, 01:12:16 PM
$10k a year? Are you a narwhal?

"$10,000 for a free movie every year", not "$10,000 a year for a free movie".

Two kids, basically $5k per kid.

You guys may have better teeth than people in any other developed nation, but with these prices, I am not sure if it is worth it.

Josephus

Yeah four movies is a bit much....what happens if it sinks after three movies? They don't finish it?
Will Flagg c. 2014 also have an awesome mullett?

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on November 25, 2014, 04:32:46 AM
Glad they are making a new adaptation, the 90s mini is pure 90s schlock and it deserves better.

Come on, the camera work for the opening credits to "Don't Fear The Reaper" was excellent.  :P

Syt

One of the most beautiful openings. :wub:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2014, 10:44:15 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 25, 2014, 04:32:46 AM

Come on, the camera work for the opening credits to "Don't Fear The Reaper" was excellent.  :P

And Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" on the opening of the second part with shots of deserted America.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2014, 11:19:54 AM
One of the most beautiful openings. :wub:

Nah, the people in the intro look like they died all of a sudden while they were doing their daily chores - without struggle or panic -, always looked too stagey and unrealistic to me.

Syt

It appears with the arrival of Netflix, Amazon now also decided to offer their streaming services in Austria.

It appears there's two options:
- Amazon Prime (with free premium delivery, a free ebook for lending per month, and limitless streaming from Prime instant video): EUR 49.-/year
- just the streaming from Prime instant video for EUR 7.99/month, or EUR 95.88/year
:hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould