News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

One of the first Christmas gifts I remember was a wooden Wild West fort with walls, towers and a few buildings. I must have been 4 at the time. Again, my parents were poor, and that was a cheap gift, with some plastic Cowboys and Indians.

15 years later I saw a comparable wooden fort, and the price was ridonculous, because suddenly wood = quality = triple the price of what plastic costs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 23, 2014, 01:33:12 AM
I am pretty sure I had red indians storming a Nazi mountain fortress playset at some point.

From Wiki:

"Dan Waupoose, a Menominee chief, training at Algiers, Louisiana, on August 24, 1943."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 23, 2014, 12:46:21 AM
The Lego Movie doesn't deserve an A.

Everything about that movie is ossum.

(there you go , punishment for belittling the best movie of the year, just try getting that out of your head now)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2014, 01:27:03 AM
Ed probably used Legos with his Guns of Navarone playset.  Fucking 1%ers.

I never had Legos either. But I lovingly attacked that mountain a lot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Lego was for girls.

I was a Meccano fan.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2014, 12:48:17 PM
Lego was for girls.

I was a Meccano fan.

:cool:

edit:

we should split this off into a childhood toy thread?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Yesterday I went to the Museum of Modernism in Mount Dora, Florida.  One of the featured artists, Wendell Castle, had become obsessed with "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" at one point in his career; so he made furniture based on the film.  The museum had a piece from this era; he had been commissioned by Steinway and Sons to make an "Art" piano.  Thus the Caligari Piano:

Pictures don't do it justice; it's hard to see all the weird angles.  It does look more Caligarish in person; in photos it tends to look like the zebra piano.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on November 23, 2014, 08:36:30 AM
Everything about that movie is ossum.

(there you go , punishment for belittling the best movie of the year, just try getting that out of your head now)

It's not even the best Chris Pratt movie of the year. Harumph.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Guardians of the Galaxy is teetering at no. 10 on my list.  It may get pushed off, possibly by Whiplash or similar.

That said, it's been a really strong year for film, thanks to a strong blockbuster season (as opposed to last year's endless summer wasteland <_< ), of which GotG was definitely one of the best parts. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Saw three movies in the last 24 hours:

Interstellar - solid A, misses A+ because it plays too fast and loose with hard science. But a very, very good film. Kind of nice to watch a movie that doesn't assume you are a moron.

Mockingjay, Part 1. My kids orthodontist every year takes all his patients and their families out to the movies. It's worked out that the last few years have all been the Hunger Games movies, so that is what we saw along with 40 other families with kids with hopefully straighter teeth. My daughter was very impressed that he would take us to a movie for "free". I told her that I paid him $10,000 for a free movie every year, and he throws in orthodontia for my two kids for free.

Anyway, solid flick. Not great or anything, but pretty much what you expect. B- or so. Didn't regret the time.

American Hustle. Finally picked this up to watch. Uggh. Very disappointing. Just did not care about these characters at all, and in a movie driven by dialogue, not caring kind of doesn't work. I was expecting a very good movie, got something that was ok - hard to believe it won a bunch of awards. Very pedestrian.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Gangster Squad.  Not a good movie.  The climactic shoot out at the Park Plaza is a parody of bad guys running through doors to get shot.

Eddie Teach

Joe Kidd. An evil rancher and a Mexican bandito have a land dispute. Joe Kidd (Clint Eastwood) wants no part of it, until the bandit steals his horses. Then he agrees to help the rancher track him down. Kidd switches sides when the rancher decides to take a village hostage and kill the residents if the bandit doesn't give himself up. Not one of Eastwood's better westerns, but it's decent enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

I tried watching Inception this weekend but I fell asleep half through it. Ironic?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2014, 02:02:57 AM
Saw three movies in the last 24 hours:

Interstellar - solid A, misses A+ because it plays too fast and loose with hard science. But a very, very good film. Kind of nice to watch a movie that doesn't assume you are a moron.

Mockingjay, Part 1. My kids orthodontist every year takes all his patients and their families out to the movies. It's worked out that the last few years have all been the Hunger Games movies, so that is what we saw along with 40 other families with kids with hopefully straighter teeth. My daughter was very impressed that he would take us to a movie for "free". I told her that I paid him $10,000 for a free movie every year, and he throws in orthodontia for my two kids for free.

Anyway, solid flick. Not great or anything, but pretty much what you expect. B- or so. Didn't regret the time.

American Hustle. Finally picked this up to watch. Uggh. Very disappointing. Just did not care about these characters at all, and in a movie driven by dialogue, not caring kind of doesn't work. I was expecting a very good movie, got something that was ok - hard to believe it won a bunch of awards. Very pedestrian.

The Orthodontist bit:  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive