TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on November 05, 2014, 06:04:35 PM
Okay, this one is beyond fucking wierd.

"Bimbo's Initiation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFrBG4xyaF8

The plot: Mickey Mouse (?!) traps poor Bimbo in a sewer, where he is captured by a secret BDSM cult of shambling horrors wearing candles, who attempts to scare Bimbo into joining - with terrifyingly surreal death threats and disorientation (just like Scientology, really  :) ).

He refuses, despite being tormented by an automatic ass-slapping machine - until the BDSM cult reveals that its members include Betty Boop (with dog ears), who does a sexy dance (revealing that her arms have no bones - more like tentacles really) and demonstrates the sexual joys of ass-slapping, by slapping her own ass with gusto. He agrees to join and they slap each other's asses. At this point, all the cult members strip off their disguises to reveal - that they are all Betty Boop clones! The end.

:hmm:

I remember that "wanna be a member? wanna be a member?? "No!" thing. It always stuck with me from watching the cartoons as a kid.

Admiral Yi

Betty Boop wasn't Disney was she?  :huh:

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 06:46:25 PM
Betty Boop wasn't Disney was she?  :huh:

No, Fleischer Studios, who are probably best known today for Popeye.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Then what was Mickey Rat doing in a Boop loop?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

No, seriously.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2014, 04:04:25 PM
The ones I saw were "Old Man of the Mountain" (very rape-y - the Old Man is depicted as raping anything that moves, including a sad hippo with three "old man" babies - he chases Betty and rips off Betty's clothes, but she gets them back and avoids his advances); "Red Hot Mama"; one where Betty was sexually assaulted by a circus manager and saved by the clown before the manager could "take her Boop-a-Doop away" (needless to say, rape-y  ;) ); and one where Betty runs away from home with her dog-boyfriend to (apparently) do lots of drugs, only to be scared back home by a jazz walrus.

Will check out "Snow White".

The one with the jazz walrus is "Minnie the Moocher."  A rotoscoped Cab Calloway is the jazz walrus, (he's also the old man of the mountain.)  The song "Minnie the Moocher" has some pretty obvious drug references in it (the man Minnie loves is "Cokey" and they go to Chinatown to "Kick the gong around.")
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on November 05, 2014, 09:21:25 AM
Check out "Mysterious Mose".  :blink:

The more I look at these things, the wierder they appear. Truly, masterpieces of surrealism.

Yes, most cartoons of the era tend to follow the formula of live action short comedies.  The Fleischer Studios simply ignores the story and creates a number of surreal sight gags around the framework of a song.  Their closest analogy would be music videos, but more like music videos directed by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on November 05, 2014, 06:04:35 PM
Okay, this one is beyond fucking wierd.

"Bimbo's Initiation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFrBG4xyaF8

The plot: Mickey Mouse (?!) traps poor Bimbo in a sewer, where he is captured by a secret BDSM cult of shambling horrors wearing candles, who attempts to scare Bimbo into joining - with terrifyingly surreal death threats and disorientation (just like Scientology, really  :) ).

He refuses, despite being tormented by an automatic ass-slapping machine - until the BDSM cult reveals that its members include Betty Boop (with dog ears), who does a sexy dance (revealing that her arms have no bones - more like tentacles really) and demonstrates the sexual joys of ass-slapping, by slapping her own ass with gusto. He agrees to join and they slap each other's asses. At this point, all the cult members strip off their disguises to reveal - that they are all Betty Boop clones! The end.

:hmm:

That one is out there, even by the standards of Fleischer Studios.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 07:35:24 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

No, seriously.

He's only in there for a second; and I think Disney was more forgiving of copyright infringement when Walt was still alive.  Snoopy does an impression of Mickey Mouse in a Peanuts strip.  One of the Fractured Fairy Tales features a duck who becomes Donald, complete with the voice.  Another features a caricature of Walt himself opening "Sleeping Beauty Land."

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2014, 08:43:38 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2014, 10:16:33 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 03, 2014, 07:56:49 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2014, 05:26:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2014, 04:47:38 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2014, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 02, 2014, 10:12:08 PM
TWD, what a weird episode.
[spoiler]Yeah. The villains aren't really all that villainy (except the apparently good doctor). Which is a nice change.[/spoiler]

:huh:
[spoiler]
They are running an indentured servant dystopia where the good doctor arranges for another doctor to be killed so he cant be replaced.  [/spoiler]
[spoiler]As I said, except for the doctor.
The whole setup they've got there.... it really isn't outright evil. They're not cannibals, they're not murdering soldiers to try and keep power and performing odd experiments on walkers.
They're the most ambiguous major villains we've had. As you say more of a dystopia than bad, bad, bad.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm not sure it's all that ambiguous...sure it just seems like a modern form of feudalism (doctor is like the clergy, and the cops are the lords/knights, and then the workers are the serfs)...but since they've moved rather quickly into "serfs are also sex/rape slaves to the knights".  Pretty much the worst form of feudalism you can image.  Prima nocta all over the place. [/spoiler]

:yes:

[spoiler]Bad ass Carol is very bad news for them tho, I expect most of them to be dead by ep. 8.[/spoiler]

:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2014, 10:01:15 PM
[spoiler]Yeah. The villains aren't really all that villainy (except the apparently good doctor). Which is a nice change.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
They are running an indentured servant dystopia where the good doctor arranges for another doctor to be killed so he cant be replaced.  [/spoiler]
The whole setup they've got there.... it really isn't outright evil. They're not cannibals, they're not murdering soldiers to try and keep power and performing odd experiments on walkers.
They're the most ambiguous major villains we've had. As you say more of a dystopia than bad, bad, bad.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm not sure it's all that ambiguous...sure it just seems like a modern form of feudalism (doctor is like the clergy, and the cops are the lords/knights, and then the workers are the serfs)...but since they've moved rather quickly into "serfs are also sex/rape slaves to the knights".  Pretty much the worst form of feudalism you can image.  Prima nocta all over the place. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Bad ass Carol is very bad news for them tho, I expect most of them to be dead by ep. 8.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]While I love the bad-ass Carol character...it also has me worried they're setting her up for a big, self-sacrificing redemptive fall.[/spoiler]

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 05, 2014, 10:08:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2014, 10:01:15 PM

[spoiler]

[spoiler]While I love the bad-ass Carol character...it also has me worried they're setting her up for a big, self-sacrificing redemptive fall.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It is possible though I wonder if harming a now popular character is in the cards. Also there is, of course, story-wise a nice kind of turn - given how unappealing she was at the start. Can't ride the tiger forever.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2014, 09:50:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 05, 2014, 09:21:25 AM
Check out "Mysterious Mose".  :blink:

The more I look at these things, the wierder they appear. Truly, masterpieces of surrealism.

Yes, most cartoons of the era tend to follow the formula of live action short comedies.  The Fleischer Studios simply ignores the story and creates a number of surreal sight gags around the framework of a song.  Their closest analogy would be music videos, but more like music videos directed by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali.
Funny you should mention the cartoons in that context.  A restaurant chain near where I lived growing up would always run Fleischer Studios black and white cartoons on a big screen synced up to modern music.  Years later I came across the viedo for Rolling by Soul Coughing with the same concept.  I love the mashing of the two.  The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84-cRlwz7I
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2014, 10:24:24 AM
I've decided I need to watch all the Marvel movies I've missed.

I've made a list :

Captain America : The First Avenger
The Avengers(I think I've seen that one but not sure)
Iron Man 3
The Wolverine
Thor The Dark World
Captain America Winter Soldier
Xmen Days of Future Past
Guardians of the Galaxy

No Spiderman, because fuck Sony & that unnecessary reboot.

Watched the Captain & Avengers. I roll my eyes all the time, while being great fun, I just can't get past the fact that these people never seem to sleep!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 07:35:24 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

No, seriously.

I assumed using the Mouse was a bit of a jab at Disney. I can only guess that Disney Studeo had not yet fired up its Lawyer Death Squad (tm).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2014, 08:59:33 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2014, 10:24:24 AM
I've decided I need to watch all the Marvel movies I've missed.

I've made a list :

Captain America : The First Avenger
The Avengers(I think I've seen that one but not sure)
Iron Man 3
The Wolverine
Thor The Dark World
Captain America Winter Soldier
Xmen Days of Future Past
Guardians of the Galaxy

No Spiderman, because fuck Sony & that unnecessary reboot.

Watched the Captain & Avengers. I roll my eyes all the time, while being great fun, I just can't get past the fact that these people never seem to sleep!

Or use the bathroom.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom