News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 22, 2014, 01:03:59 PM
She does not look healthy to me, but whatever, to each his own.
No she dont.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2014, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2014, 10:07:30 AM
Edit: this is part of the unfortunate tendency in fiction to treat laws as, basically, magic mumbo jumbo entirely devoid of sense, so that if only you can seize the right loopholes, or invoke the right 'magic spells' by using the right forms or language, you can literally get away with pretty well anything.

Another name for this phenomenon is the "rules of civil procedure"

Alternately, "the Commerce Clause".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on October 22, 2014, 06:19:45 AM
A Single Childless Middle Aged Woman isn't usually depicted in this way in tv or other media.

For starters, they're usually depicted as being women who have never married or had children.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 22, 2014, 03:02:45 PM
A Single Childless Middle Aged Woman isn't usually depicted in this way in tv or other media.

For starters, they're usually depicted as being women who have never married or had children.  :P

Well at least she isn't going all UnCat on us. She got over it, moved on a focuses on surviving. She's the one most clearly focused on that task and thats why I love her.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

I snuck out to watch Fury the other night. I was entertained, but with reservations.

The movie certainly looked great, and I had no quarrels with the acting. But it seemed to lack something in terms of satisfying plot. Also, the climactic battle seemed unrealistic to me.

[spoiler] It isn't well explained why the SS didn't riddle the stationary tank with the panzerfausts we are shown that they are carrying in abundance. [/spoiler]

I'd say it was a good war movie, but not a truly great one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

I actually used to carry a bit of a chubby for old Renee.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2014, 04:39:43 PM
I actually used to carry a bit of a chubby for old Renee.

Me too, she had a distinctive look with that chubby face. Now she just looks generic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 04:29:02 PM
I snuck out to watch Fury the other night. I was entertained, but with reservations.

The movie certainly looked great, and I had no quarrels with the acting. But it seemed to lack something in terms of satisfying plot. Also, the climactic battle seemed unrealistic to me.

[spoiler] It isn't well explained why the SS didn't riddle the stationary tank with the panzerfausts we are shown that they are carrying in abundance. [/spoiler]

I'd say it was a good war movie, but not a truly great one.

I heard one reviewer say it was like watching Das Boot except there are a lot of interesting things going on in a sub and not much to show inside a tank.

mongers

Got around to watching 'Wolf of Wall Street' excellent film, what great dialogue, monologues, asides, nearly brilliant. Also some laugh out loud scenes, almost a comedy of the grotesque.   

I liked it a lot.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Carol and Daryl are my two favorite characters and TWD right now. Given that they are characters that are either already dead (Carol) or created for the series (Daryl) and not in the comic so they are eminently expendable for any comic book related story lines. Carol is really stealing the show imho.

And just another comment on the last episode:

[spoiler]I'd be damned if I went wading in cellar/walker water...the diseases you could get from that could be amazing.  Better to try and build a small boat. [/spoiler]

mongers

She got a little bit older, like the rest of us. And if I had to guess, she probably stopped drinking, too much drinking tends to give some women that chubby cheerful looking face.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 22, 2014, 07:34:36 PM
And just another comment on the last episode:

[spoiler]I'd be damned if I went wading in cellar/walker water...the diseases you could get from that could be amazing.  Better to try and build a small boat. [/spoiler]

Me neither, although my main concern would be [spoiler]any half-torso walkers underneath that could grab and bite you, without ever seeing them.  Fuckers don't need air.[/spoiler]

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2014, 07:59:46 PM

She got a little bit older, like the rest of us. And if I had to guess, she probably stopped drinking, too much drinking tends to give some women that chubby cheerful looking face.

Yeah, but there's aging gracefully, and then there's doing so much plastic/botox damage to one's face.  I mean, look at Meg Ryan:  one minute she's relatively still cute albeit aging, the next she looks like the Joker who had plastic melted onto her face. 

Really a goddamned shame.  For fuck's sake, if Jamie Lee Curtis and Annette Bening have the stones to age naturally, so can the rest of Hollywood.

And Renee was only truly cute in Jerry Maguire and Me, Myself and Irene.

Grey Fox

Botox is destroying everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2014, 08:35:15 PM
And Renee was only truly cute in Jerry Maguire and Me, Myself and Irene.

Her cute went to 11 in that shitty movie about the record store.  I almost busted my button fly when she showed up in nothing but an apron.