News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Holy God of Television, Twin Peaks is back, with Lynch and Frost on board. :mmm:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Heh, just saw on "on demand" that a movie version of Joe Lansdale's Neo-Texas Noir novel Cold in July was released this year.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a positive rating - 85%. Though it bombed at the box office.

I'll check it out when I have a chance. Lansdale's a favorite of mine.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cold_in_july_2014/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2014, 11:52:07 AM
The Wolf of Wall Street is really good, just also really long (and it's kind of fucked, tonally, too).
It's a pretty good movie for the insight on Jordan Belfort.  You can see clearly from the beginning that it is based on his books, on his interpretation of the facts.  Everything is blown out of proportion and he always portrays himself as the good guy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on October 06, 2014, 12:35:00 PM
Holy God of Television, Twin Peaks is back, with Lynch and Frost on board. :mmm:

What?! That is awesome. I guess I'll have to watch the original again to refresh my memory. When does it come out?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 06, 2014, 01:08:49 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 06, 2014, 12:35:00 PM

What?! That is awesome. I guess I'll have to watch the original again to refresh my memory. When does it come out?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll give the film a viewing.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2014, 10:25:50 AM
Tron: Legacy is chock full of character. It's a fathers and sons (and daughter) tale. FFS.

There is a father and a son in it.
Same holds for Goldilocks and the Three Little Bears.  There is a Papa Bear and Baby Bear.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Yeah yeah it's awesome we get it. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2014, 03:33:46 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2014, 10:25:50 AM
Tron: Legacy is chock full of character. It's a fathers and sons (and daughter) tale. FFS.

There is a father and a son in it.

Two sons.  Did you even see the movie?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And even if it didn't have a neat, mythic story (though it does), cinema is also about, you know, images and feelings?  Maybe you should consider treating it as an art rather than as a mere sequence of exhibits dryly relating a narrative.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2014, 04:42:58 PM
And even if it didn't have a neat, mythic story (though it does), cinema is also about, you know, images and feelings?

Images and feelings?  Dude it like messed up my zen.
Now the laser light planetarium show has great images (the universe!) and feelings (the awesomeness of creation, humanity's cosmic insigificance).  And the Museum of Natural History has great sets.  if they could just nail down costume design it would be Oscar City.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Tron: Legacy did have some bitchin' costume design.
Kinemalogue

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2014, 03:11:11 PM
Godzilla whipped Pacific Rim's ass, and Godzilla was a significantly flawed motion picture.

Both parts of that statement demonstrate your total lack of movie reviewing qualifications. :P

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2014, 06:47:17 PM
I had started watching Pacific Rim but my bowels liquified due to the Ebola it induced, and I had to stop watching it.

You can go to hell, too. :P

Ideologue

:wacko:

...Flawed by about thirty minutes, by my clock. :P
Kinemalogue