Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2014, 08:15:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2014, 07:58:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2014, 07:34:25 PM
I recently rewatched Fail Safe on TCM.  :)

:thumbsup:

Could you make out the model of plane used?

They were actually Convair Hustlers.  The interceptors that burned out over the pole were Delta Darts.

F102 ? Like the one's GWB flew in Texas.

What was the last us based only inceptor before the F15s,  F106 Detla Dagger?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Zanza on September 28, 2014, 03:46:59 AM
I started a free one month promo of Netflix now (they only came to Germany a week or two ago). Underwhelmed by the amount of movies on offer. Series look okay though, even if some well-known ones (e.g. GoT, Homeland) are missing.

I'm currently watching The Blacklist on netflix.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Just saw Hedwig & The Angry Inch on Broadway. Lovely!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 08:30:05 PM

The F-106 Delta Darts actually saw service before the F-102 Dubya Daggers, but they overlapped service and both saw the majority of high-speed interceptor duty for North America before and during the F-15's time.  But yeah, prior to the F-15, they were the last dedicated CONUS interceptors.

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 08:30:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2014, 08:15:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2014, 07:58:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2014, 07:34:25 PM
I recently rewatched Fail Safe on TCM.  :)

:thumbsup:

Could you make out the model of plane used?

They were actually Convair Hustlers.  The interceptors that burned out over the pole were Delta Darts.

The 102 is the Delta Dagger. 106 is the Delta Dart.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Anybody notice the new DirecTV commercials with Rob Lowe close out with the theme from St. Elmo's Fire:lol:

Ed Anger

Older Rob Lowe wants to bang that underage pussy again.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2014, 08:36:47 PM
DAMN IT SEEDY

That's probably because my copy of Speed of Heat is always closer than yours.

Ed Anger

Basement stairs pain mah knees.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2014, 07:17:10 PM
Oh, yeah, along with like 500 other people in Columbia, I went to go see Gone With the Wind (1939) in the theater.  Turns out I'd never seen the whole thing before.  Kind of an immoral film, but very well-shot and photographed, with gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous production design by one of the greatest PDs of all time, if not the greatest, William Cameron Menzies.  So, this is an early character study of a functional sociopath, right?

Pretty much, yes, I've read that Victor Fleming wanted Vivien Leigh to play Scarlett as a complete and total bitch.  Leigh kept going to George Cukor for advice after he had been fired so she was able to make her character just a sociopath.

QuoteEdit:  I dunno what I'd grade it.  B+ or an A.  A-A+, up till the part where Scarlett and Rhett's marital difficulties erupt, where it sort of exhausts itself.

Yeah, that needed either more time to develop or it needed to glossed over in a Citizen Kane style montage.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Dallas Buyers Club. Not bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2014, 08:38:37 PM
Older Rob Lowe wants to bang that underage pussy again.

and he probably can.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Max Payne. Terrible, and they kill off Olga Kurylenko less than 30 minutes in.

Ideologue

For any curious about the new(ish) Allen project:

Magic in the Moonlight (2014).  The pledge, the turn, the prestige... and 17 more interminable minutes.

A Midsummer Night's Sexless Comedy

B+

Quote from: Eddie TeachDallas Buyers Club. Not bad.

Yeah, "not bad" is pretty much exactly right.  It's about the boggest fucking standard thing I've ever seen, but truth is duller than fiction, I guess.  Also I'm kind of bummed out that "losing weight" is basically the only prerequisite there is for an Oscar, seeing as how there were literally dozens of better Best and Supporting Actor performances last year.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)