News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

It's really bumming me out how little respect Jack Arnold's filmography's gotten, that only something like 70% of his 1950s output is available in any fashion, and only about half available in any easily obtainable format.  Sure, Criterion will make sure every last little piece of crap by any Euroloser with a camera gets a pristine blu-ray release, but an American contract director who made good movies that people would probably actually enjoy?  Fuck that.  It's not pretentious enough.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Don't be a shit in my cut, dude.  If you were complaining you couldn't find some of the more obscure Garbo movies, I wouldn't give you a hard time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2014, 09:53:04 PM
If you were complaining you couldn't find some of the more obscure Garbo movies, I wouldn't give you a hard time.

You should. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

And I would. :P

Thing is, I wanted to do a retrospective on all his 50s movies that were available... but it looks like, one thriller, one Western, one high school exploitation movie, and one Peter Sellers-is-different-people comedy aside, it'll just have to be his sci-fi.
Kinemalogue

Liep

The new trailer for Lars von Trier's director's cut version of Nymphomaniac is the most NSFW video I've seen. Ever. Woah.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

It appears Austrian Alpine Western "The Dark Valley" will be an Oscar candidate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIhU4-hcv0
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Neat.  I have no idea what it's supposed to be about, but I guess people get shot.
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2014, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
It's really bumming me out

Okay, Psellus.
I have never used that phrase in my entire life.  Not even ironically. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on September 04, 2014, 02:19:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2014, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
It's really bumming me out

Okay, Psellus.
I have never used that phrase in my entire life.  Not even ironically. 

It wasn't about the phrasing.

jimmy olsen

There's a new documentary about recent research on Stone Henge that looks pretty interesting

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-lies-beneath-Stonehenge-180952437/?all&no-ist
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Stone Henge?  Sounds like a professional wrestler.
Dumb Ass.

Ideologue

Search term on Kinemalogue today:

Quotehow to sexually train your dragon

OH FOR...

:lol:
Kinemalogue

Syt

Another thing I remembered from Guardians of the Galaxy: They (Nova Corps) actually evacuated the city that's under direct attack.Making them more conscientious than Nolan's/Snyder's Superman. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Troll, in which a boy named Harry Potter learns magic from a witch to defeat an evil wizard with the help of magic staffs.

Huh.

Anyways, it's a corny and hilarious classic (Sonny Bono as Quagmire wannabe! :lol: ). 6/10
—Stephen Jay Gould