News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I think it's my third favorite Universal Horror movie from the big eight (counting Phantom '25 as the real Phantom and not the homoerotic comedy one from '43 that Universal insists upon in their collected editions--because apparently people who like movies from the 30s hate silent films?).  Hard to say--individually, it's better than Frankenstein or Bride of, but combined those movies are better, if that makes sense.

If you don't count Phantom '25 (or Frankenstein: Vols. I and II as a single unit), it's my second, after the unimpeachable Invisible Man. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy at the imax last night.

Fun, fast paced, irreverent roller coaster ride - 8.5/10 on first viewing. I'm curious to see if it holds up on multiple viewings. A beautifully bizarre ride (though a passing familiarity with Marvel's space setting helps in finding your bearings - not required, though).

I went into this expecting a tone similar to Firefly. I was wrong.

During the movie I found that the movie's tone reminded me A LOT of classic Farscape episodes. Which, for me, was a very good thing.

For most of the story you could easily replace Quill with his loose mouth and pop culture references with Crichton. The serious warrior chick who used to work for the enemy and joins the heroes? Aeryn Sun. The proud, honorable warrior with a tragic family history? Ka D'Argo. The pint sized big mouth mostly looking out for #1? Rigel (if Rigel wasn't a coward most of the time). The monomaniacal adversary who'll do anything to destroy his arch enemy? Scorpius (though Scorpi isn't quite as uptight as Ronan). Can't quite place Groot, though. Zhann, maybe ([spoiler]she was a plant, too and sacrificed herself for the crew [/spoiler]- and she was the "good person" who was the moral compass)?

I'm not sure how many of the characters are older than Farscape, so there might be a hen/egg situation here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Tbf, I thought some the archetypes were mostly a Star Wars ripoff, too.

Starlord/Luke Skywalker: [spoiler]guy with a mysterious ascendacy (waiting for the "I'm your father" moment in the Guardians saga), that gives him some supernatural capabilities (hinted at the end of Guardians). Since this is 2014 and not 1977 the gee-whiz fascination for adventure is supplemented with wisecracks.
[/spoiler]
Gamora / Leia: [spoiler]Member of the royalty of a destroyed planet that's been plotting to betray the Evil Guys and ultimately escapes from them. Because she's an "insider" she knows the Evil Plan (the Death Star / the Orb) and obtains the help of the other protagonists to defeat it.[/spoiler]

Han Solo / Rocket: [spoiler]mercenary kind of guy that's only motivated by money, very cynical and wisecracking, but ultimately comes to the rescue after embracing friendship for the first time since good knows when. Has a weird extraterrestrial companion that's unable to talk[/spoiler] (Chewie/Groot), [spoiler]that acts as his moral compass.[/spoiler]

That's fine, there's nothing new under the Sun and Star Wars characters were a rehash of older ones too. Still, my only "but" regarding Guardians of the Galaxy is that ultimately it was another rehash of 500000 films before it, just an entertaining and very funny rehash.

Syt

That's true since these are - after all - classical archetypes.

It's just that I thought many times throughout the movie that it felt like a super high budget Farscape episode based on the action, zaniness, characters and dialogue.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Spike Lee's Oldboy. Impressed that he was able to make it through an entire movie without touching on how oppressed black people are.

Less impressive was his fight choreography. The scene where Josh Brolin takes on 8 people is pretty /facepalm worthy.

Most impressive was Elizabeth Olsen's body.

Overall, I'd say see the Korean version first, but this one's worth watching too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2014, 05:43:14 AM
Spike Lee's Oldboy. Impressed that he was able to make it through an entire movie without touching on how oppressed black people are.

To be honest to Lee, Inside Man was also like that. Fun film too.

I have been dreading to watch the yank remake of Oldboy, since I think the first one is pretty damn great. One question: is the ending the same?

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 02, 2014, 08:02:31 AM

Still my favorite heist film, but I think you're forgetting a couple of minor scenes. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I might. But I remember leaving the cinema and thinking, wow, Spike Lee has made a film that's not about racism*

*against blacks, at least.

The Brain

25th Hour isn't about race stuff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on September 02, 2014, 10:28:20 AM
25th Hour isn't about race stuff.

Forgot about that one. It's actually quite good.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

I have been dreading to watch the yank remake of Oldboy, since I think the first one is pretty damn great. One question: is the ending the same?
Inside Man always makes me quite happy.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

When I was at the cinema the other week I saw a trailer for a film called Sex Tape. Looks like a typical so-so not particularly laugh out loud comedy.
One thing did strike me about it.
The actor in it. The guy who plays Marshal on How I Met Your Mother- shit he looks terrible. Does he have aids or something? He's so thin :o
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

[spoiler]Main reveal is the same. Motivation of antagonist is similar. Outcome, I'm not positive, but I think it was about the same.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Eddie Pepitone, In Ruins.

He's the Bukowski of modern stand-up. And this is the most Bukowski of his sets.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt