TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Just watched Oblivion.

All Hail our new overlord, Tom Cruise.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Just watched Super 8, the JJ Abrams ET ripoff.  I can see why it was playing on FXM.

Eddie Teach

Saw the first season of Rectify. Powerful stuff.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

I watched the last of the Firefly episodes.  I went to click on the next episode and that was the end of the season.  Noooooooo

Too bad the series didnt have time to get into the Shepherd's back story, or for River's character to develop, or etc.

Then I watched Serenity.  I enjoyed it but there was one jarring and one subtle inconsistency with the series.  The jarring inconsistency is in the series the Captain refused to send River and her brother off the ship because of her instability.  In Serenity he did just that.  The more subtle inconsistency is her instability is caused by [spoiler]discovering the secret of the dead planet and the creation of the Reavers when she read the mind of one of the ministers who came to observe her.  She was fine after she arrived on the planet and the secret was discovered by the crew.  But in the show her instability was caused by the numerous brain surgeries which stripped away parts of her brain.  Her brother was in the process of trying to find a cure for that condition. [/spoiler]   

Malthus

Finished True Detective. Great stuff. Likely to attract tourism to the US South?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2014, 09:00:52 AM
Finished True Detective. Great stuff. Likely to attract tourism to the US South?  :D

:D

Were you a little sad/surprise by the show being a regular cop show instead of a crazy scifi like Queeners likes it to be.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2014, 07:04:39 PM
So better than The French Connection :)

yeah French Connection had human beings acting in it and unattractive sets (why were the city streets so dirty - was the union cleaning crew on strike?)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

NYC in the late 60s was dirty.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2014, 09:15:15 AM

Were you a little sad/surprise by the show being a regular cop show instead of a crazy scifi like Queeners likes it to be.

No - the main attraction of the show was the relationship between our two disfunctional cop heroes. That "Carcossa" and "King in Yellow" stuff was pure nerd fanservice.  :D But it didn't lead anywhere, except for tone - all that stuff about "masks" for example is straight out of the book.

One plot element that I thought they didn't develop was that the one cop's daughter's troubles I thought would end up related to the whole pedo-lunatic ring somehow. But that never went anywhere.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I call her Avril Lavigne.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Josquius

I've finished watching Orange is the New Black.
That was a nice ending to series 2. They could cancel the whole show and end it on that and all would be well. Really surprising to see an ending which resolves so many problems. These days shows usually love to end on crazy cliff hangers. i.e. series 1 of the same show.
I'm wondering though....what amount of time has passed?
As it doesn't really feel like very much at all....yet a lot has clearly happened. Some things are quite out of whack, the oriental girl (she has a Chinese name but one of the girls commented she was half Japanese and half Scottish, which sounds to me like a writer mixed up the character and the actress) seems to have only been in prison a few weeks whilst the black gang seemed to have been going for a while with Vee, not to mention the cancer lady; she seemed to have a very long series, building a friendship with the kid, saying goodbye to him, etc...
Piper is only meant to be in prison a year iirc?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I figured the confrontation with Pennsatucky at the end of season one was a convenient excuse to extend her sentence.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2014, 10:16:15 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2014, 09:15:15 AM

No - the main attraction of the show was the relationship between our two disfunctional cop heroes. That "Carcossa" and "King in Yellow" stuff was pure nerd fanservice.  :D But it didn't lead anywhere, except for tone - all that stuff about "masks" for example is straight out of the book.

One plot element that I thought they didn't develop was that the one cop's daughter's troubles I thought would end up related to the whole pedo-lunatic ring somehow. But that never went anywhere.

I liked the scenes in the hospital and as they were leaving.  Great way to end the series.

Assuming that was the last episode.

Grey Fox

It is. Season 2 gets a new duo.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2014, 12:09:47 PM
It is. Season 2 gets a new duo.

I dont think it will be the same now that we know the premise.  [spoiler]There was always the tension that the State cops were on to something with their investigation of the one partner.  So much so that the other partner drew his gun when entering the shed in the last episode.  Not sure how they could recreate that sort of thing now that we know it really is "just a cop show".[/spoiler]