News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Lighting and color, man, lighting and color.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2014, 10:19:13 AM
Arrow end of season. They stumbled a bit at the finishing line, but still ossum.
Yeah, it felt dragged out, then rushed at the end.  I agree it still worked pretty damn well despite all of that though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2014, 10:19:54 AM

Looks great. I'll see it if I can.

The review reminds me somewhat of the A&E movie Longitude, which I very much enjoyed.
I love Mike Leigh and Timothy Spall an inordinate amount so it should be very good.

And Mike Leigh's last Victorian period piece - Topsy Turvy about Gilbert and Sullivan - is one of my favourite films. So :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Topsy Turvy's excellent. I haven't seen a Michael Leigh film since Happy Go Lucky (which I enjoyed quite a bit), might be time to break the fast.

For having such a reputation as a drama director, I think he makes some excellent comedies.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on May 15, 2014, 01:36:33 PM
For having such a reputation as a drama director, I think he makes some excellent comedies.
Agree. I think even his heaviest dramas - like Naked or Vera Drake - have wonderful comic moments. I'd also recommend Another Year which was his last film and had the wonderful Lesley Manville in a lead role. It's brilliant.

He's one of my favourite working directors. I think his style seems quite stereotypical - another British social realist kitchen sink drama - but that he's actually got a huge range.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Some Pirates of the Caribbean movie is on TV. Why is the captain gay? Pirates aren't queer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Frozen. Best Disney movie in 20 years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Godzilla, first thoughts: recommendable, some of the best moments of the franchise, but ultimately disappointing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 15, 2014, 01:03:42 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2014, 10:19:13 AM
Arrow end of season. They stumbled a bit at the finishing line, but still ossum.
Yeah, it felt dragged out, then rushed at the end.  I agree it still worked pretty damn well despite all of that though.

I can't help but feel Summer Glau was wasted, both as Isobel Rochev and [spoiler]Ravager.[/spoiler][spoiler] I sort of hope she escapes, goes properly bonkers and pokes her own eye out.
[/spoiler]
So far they have exhausted Green Arrow's rogues gallery (Vertigo, Merlyn and Rochev) as well as the non-demonic and non-alien bits of the Teen Titans rogues gallery (Deathstroke, Brother Blood and [spoiler]Ravager[/spoiler]) (hint, don't expect a teen titans or a flash movie for at least 5 more years) I'm a bit intrigued as to where they go next.

Season 1 did set up Deathstroke and Amanda Waller. I get a bit of a [spoiler]the longbow hunters[/spoiler] vibe from thea where she might fill the role of [spoiler]shado[/spoiler] there. She might decide to [spoiler]avenge the wrongs done to her father after a suitable level of manipulation by, guess who, yes, the arrow.[/spoiler] However, with Brother Blood dead and Oliver in need of a job it might be the right time to start the [spoiler]Oliver Queen as Mayor[/spoiler] story-line. Another option is the Smalville option of making it a DC universe show.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

My parents love Big Bang Theory, but I can't really get into it. 
It's almost like every IT Assburger I've ever known that made my job difficult, plus Languish.

mongers

'The Damned United ' - a damn good film.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2014, 09:47:06 PM
My parents love Big Bang Theory, but I can't really get into it. 
It's almost like every IT Assburger I've ever known that made my job difficult, plus Languish.

I found out my pop loves it, too. :huh: I wouldn't have guessed that.  Myself, I can't stand it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

I've had a couple of people tell me I'm like Sheldon, which is tantamount to calling someone retarded to their face. <_<
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Is Sheldon the doofus with the curly hair?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2014, 11:16:40 PM
Is Sheldon the doofus with the curly hair?

No, that's Leonard. Sheldon is the tall, skinny one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?