News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on May 14, 2014, 02:55:23 PM
You can also created sapient life forms out of snow.
Well, it's better than Grindr.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 14, 2014, 02:50:19 PM
San Francisco- cold. Boston- cold. New York- cold.

I didn't voluntarily live in Mass and if you are going to use Boston as label then you have to throw in LA as I lived longer in its vicinity than Boston.

Besides, the unifying theme across those 3 cities is politically liberal and easy to walk/get around on a daily basis without using a car.  If NYC could be plopped down where SD is, I'd love it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2014, 02:56:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 14, 2014, 02:55:23 PM
You can also created sapient life forms out of snow.
Well, it's better than Grindr.

I only use Scruff. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

What I liked is how the love these two women had, who had barely talked to each other since childhood and had a horrible relationship, cured everything.  But then this is Disney where people meeting each other for the first time get married on a regular basis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 02:53:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2014, 02:51:48 PM
Well, the animated sequence *does* feature a glam make-over ...  :hmm:  :P

Yeah.  Having magical ice powers gives you hair/make up/dress powers to.

Magical powers are funny like that.  :D

Also - a question my son asked me - she's planning a life of total isolation on an inaccessable mountain, proclaiming she doesn't give a shit what others think of her or even want to see any of them again, so why does she want to look glam?  :hmm:

Maybe that's a girl thing though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Do you ever blush in the bath?

Same reason.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 03:00:52 PM
What I liked is how the love these two women had, who had barely talked to each other since childhood and had a horrible relationship, cured everything.  But then this is Disney where people meeting each other for the first time get married on a regular basis.

To be fair, they satirized that in the movie itself.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

garbon

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2014, 03:01:23 PM
Also - a question my son asked me - she's planning a life of total isolation on an inaccessable mountain, proclaiming she doesn't give a shit what others think of her or even want to see any of them again, so why does she want to look glam?  :hmm:

Because escaping the oppressive regime of your parents makes you fabulous.  Though her parents did have the worst parenting plan ever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2014, 03:03:29 PM

I know.  But even that satire was predictable.  I was thinking 'it would be great if he just turned out to be a nice guy she just wasn't right for' but no of course not.  Just a meh Disney film all the way around.  But they haven't really made a good one since Lion King...I don't think I may be forgetting something.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 03:04:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2014, 03:01:23 PM

Because escaping the oppressive regime of your parents makes you fabulous.  Though her parents did have the worst parenting plan ever.

It would probably make me want to wear an old dressing gown and slippers - presumably, not made out of ice.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 03:06:34 PM

I know.  But even that satire was predictable.  I was thinking 'it would be great if he just turned out to be a nice guy she just wasn't right for' but no of course not.  Just a meh Disney film all the way around.  But they haven't really made a good one since Lion King...I don't think I may be forgetting something.

Mulan? Pocahontas? :angry:

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 03:06:34 PM

Given that he's shown to be actually competent at helping the people, one could sort of root for him. "Sure, you and your sister are the legitimate rulers ... but you have shut yourselves up in this palace and done fuck-all for the country, until your sis unleashed a freaking eternal winter because you pissed her off with your stupidity. Everyone would be better off with both of you dead and me in charge".  ;)