News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I'm getting pretty annoyed with Hannibal. I think it has to do with prequelitis. I'm just waiting for people to reach the point they were at when I read the book/saw the movie. I'd have preferred it if they didn't have as much success, since then they wouldn't be trying to draw out the story rather than tell it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on April 27, 2014, 06:28:34 PM
I'm getting pretty annoyed with Hannibal. I think it has to do with prequelitis. I'm just waiting for people to reach the point they were at when I read the book/saw the movie. I'd have preferred it if they didn't have as much success, since then they wouldn't be trying to draw out the story rather than tell it.

If they had any less success, they'd have been canceled.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

I should watch 'transcendence' shouldn't I ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

CW's The Hundred is a hundred kinds of crap.
PDH!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2014, 06:36:31 PM

If they had any less success, they'd have been canceled.

Instead they are dreaming of 5 seasons and (yet another) movie.

I can't help thinking this would have been better off as a mini-series.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

I'm thinking of this as a separate story from the main Red Dragon story line. Anything can happen from here on in that doesn't have to conform to the main storyline, if you know what I mean.

What I am getting tired of, though, is the obvious dream sequences in the beginning.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

You guys--particularly Ide--should check out a wonderful little documentary on John Cazale, I Knew It Was You.  Taken far too quickly.

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on April 27, 2014, 06:49:54 PM

I'm thinking of this as a separate story from the main Red Dragon story line. Anything can happen from here on in that doesn't have to conform to the main storyline, if you know what I mean.

What I am getting tired of, though, is the obvious dream sequences in the beginning.

Look, we all know where this is going, Hannibal locked up and Will using him to help catch other serial killers. The last scene or the second to last scene is going to have a Clarice Starling namedrop too.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2014, 11:17:35 PM
Current shade: puce.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27178025

why must they rape my childhood?

anyways, that show worked because ww2 veterans had reached the age of dads army. The actors mostly served in WWII, some in WWI, one actually was in the home guard during the war  after serving with the BEF in france in WWII. The audience either served during the war or had parents who served. I got it on re-runs in the 1980s.

I'm sort of hoping they get michael bay to direct it so I can dismiss it without considering it at all.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2014, 11:17:35 PM
Current shade: puce.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27178025

Toby Jones, eh?  So shall it be an avant-garde mood piece that kills God inside you, or a dumb crowd-pleasing actioner with terrible thriller elements and pretensions to political relevance?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on April 28, 2014, 12:19:23 AM
I'm sort of hoping they get michael bay to direct it so I can dismiss it without considering it at all.

Mikey Bay's a good director now.  Get with the program.

Edit: well, we'll find out in June if he is anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on April 28, 2014, 12:19:23 AM
anyways, that show worked because ww2 veterans had reached the age of dads army. The actors mostly served in WWII, some in WWI, one actually was in the home guard during the war  after serving with the BEF in france in WWII. The audience either served during the war or had parents who served. I got it on re-runs in the 1980s.
Yep. The writers and the actors and the audience knew about Britain in the 1940s. This will almost certainly end up saturated in irony and knowing winks to the audience about what people were like back then :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I don't mind the prequel stuff (the Vergers! yes! I was wondering who Margot was supposed to be, perhaps I just missed the namedrop last week or the week before--P.S. that actress is hottt).

But as much as I'm continuing to enjoy Hannibal, I do feel a certain element of eternal return that would feel more at home in a show from the 1990s than the 2010s.
Kinemalogue