News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2014, 10:04:44 PM
How about we all just be a little less Assburger about it and just enjoy the show, hmmm?  How about that?

QQ and Ideologue should be sentenced to re-educative forced re-runs of the A-Team.
It takes true script writing genius to figure out yet another way for the characters to be surrounded and trapped in a metal shop.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Ide might be salvageable. Squeels? Lost cause.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

Quote from: Scipio on April 01, 2014, 05:38:24 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 31, 2014, 09:41:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2014, 09:38:13 PM
Shit, I missed it.  Did Barney die?

[spoiler]Barney and Robin get divorced, the Mother dies, and Ted ends up with Robin.[/spoiler]
That's fucking retarded.

It's actually handled pretty well considering they tried to [spoiler]compress fifteen years of post meeting the mother time into 30 minutes.  If they actually gave more series time to the events of the finale it probably wouldn't of been a problem, but that would have been moving outside the central conceit of the show.[/spoiler]

Razgovory

Spellus is okay, he's just a bit excitable.  If you forced him to sit through a bunch of A-Team episodes he's probably forget Hannibal and be convinced that Mr. T is the most brilliant character in Western Literature.  Essentially is interests need to be recalibrate every once in a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

He needs a good slappin'
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

I kind of hate to say it, but Rome feels more and more like a warmup for Game of Thrones. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2014, 10:42:03 AM
I kind of hate to say it, but Rome feels more and more like a warmup for Game of Thrones.

There's a certain sex&ancient politics commonality to both series, certainly.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 01, 2014, 09:05:53 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2014, 04:48:58 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2014, 02:43:11 AM
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982).  :wub: And I don't know why people give James Horner shit.  He's great.

A+

You are no longer sent to a penal battalion.

Wait a second.
Doesn't that mean he hadn't seen it before?  And how much garbage did he watch before?

Of course I've seen it before, along the lines of twenty times.  It's one of the first movies I remember watching.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2014, 12:09:22 PM

Pretty big overlap in terms of cast, too. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2014, 12:15:52 PM

:huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2014, 12:15:52 PM

Is there? Besides Indira Varma I can't think of any reasonably big player appearing in both series. I'm only up to episode 7 in Rome, though.

Costumed Sex+Cloak and Dagger dramas have been a sort of staple of cable programming for a while, anyway, there was the Tudors and that awful (bar naked Eva Green) King Arthur series too.

katmai

There isn't a big overlap. Spellus as usual is hyperbolic in his statements.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on April 01, 2014, 12:33:29 PM
There isn't a big overlap. Spellus as usual is hyperbolic in his statements.
Indira Varma, Tobias Menzies, Ciaran Hinds?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: frunk on April 01, 2014, 09:27:44 AM
It's actually handled pretty well considering they tried to [spoiler]compress fifteen years of post meeting the mother time into 30 minutes.  If they actually gave more series time to the events of the finale it probably wouldn't of been a problem, but that would have been moving outside the central conceit of the show.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The main problem with the ending twist(which they'd been planning since the beginning, as it relies on footage with the kids) is that the show was too successful/ran too long. Too much time spent showing Ted's other relationships, showing Barney and Robin together, and the final season showing how well Ted & Tracy got along together... the audience(well me and the person who wrote an article about it for Time at least) had moved on. So instead of "cheating" to give the audience what it wants, it's cheating for the sake of cheating.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2014, 04:41:20 PM
[spoiler]The main problem with the ending twist(which they'd been planning since the beginning, as it relies on footage with the kids) is that the show was too successful/ran too long. Too much time spent showing Ted's other relationships, showing Barney and Robin together, and the final season showing how well Ted & Tracy got along together... the audience(well me and the person who wrote an article about it for Time at least) had moved on. So instead of "cheating" to give the audience what it wants, it's cheating for the sake of cheating.[/spoiler]

I think that's a pretty weak argument.  [spoiler]Just because there's more detail given the ending is less impactful?  I don't buy it.  It wasn't an issue of moving on, Ted had also moved on, that was the point.  The bizarre presumption is that Ted was right and there was one perfect person out there for him.  He was wrong and at the end he knew it.  He had a great life with Tracy and was hoping to have a great life with Robin.  He wasn't trying to switch from Tracy to Robin, Tracy was dead.  He wanted to integrate the two parts of his life, before Tracy (the HIMYM show) and after Tracy (which we don't really get to see).[/spoiler]