News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I watched The Way Back on Netflix over the weekend.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023114/

Its worth having a look.

garbon

Shameless

Yay gay bar fight. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Is there scratching and hair-pulling?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2014, 10:02:37 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2014, 09:56:18 PM
I'm grown tired of Game of Thrones. A wave of ennui washes over me thinking about it.

Yeah well good for you because my wife has cancelled HBO just in time.  :P

Tamas--PM me your GoT procurement method.  :lol:

Ed watched HBO with your wife? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2014, 05:52:28 PM
I watched The Way Back on Netflix over the weekend.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023114/

Its worth having a look.

Yeah saw that...it's not great, but well worth a watch.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Trying to get back to Hannibal after so many raves in this thread, but I just can't. I still find the show way too over the top and overwrought.

Oh well, I'll give it some more episodes, Mikkelsen makes it watchable.

Ideologue

In good conscience, I have to tell you that never stops being over the top and overwrought.  I enjoy it precisely for those qualities, which I feel it very much has in common with all of the Hannibal Lecter films, but if those are your issues, it certainly doesn't get better in that regard.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I like the Hannibal films, although I do find that the namesake film - which is the one I see most similar to the series - is my least favorite of all.

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2014, 07:11:25 PM
I like the Hannibal films, although I do find that the namesake film - which is the one I see most similar to the series - is my least favorite of all.
Manhunter is the most similar, I think.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

I don't see that at all.  I think it's by far most kindred to Scott's film, with much the same tone.  Though I don't really see as many differences in tone between Hannibal and Silence as most do--both are extremely cartoonish--only in their content and theme.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2014, 09:55:06 AM
Just watched Captain America: Winter Soldier.

A-
Now that I'm on my work computer rather than my Kindle let me expand.

This may be the best Marvel movie yet, if not it is tied with the original Ironman.

The action is great, with some of the best acrobatics I've ever seen. The plot has surprising political depth for a superhero movie. This is what the Marvel Civil War should have been.

All hail Captain America savior of the Republic.

Mega spoilers
[spoiler]Redford's character being the main villain was pretty obvious and I called Fury faking his death but it was executed well. Not sure how Agents of Shield can continue after this, since they were disbanded after their failed fascist coup.[/spoiler]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Seven (1995).  Now this is some pop-nihilism you can believe in.  Still probably David Fincher's best film, though I do need to see The Social Network (and, I guess, Alien 3) to be absolutely sure.

A+

P.S. I am jealous of Tim.  I wasn't much on board the Captain America train from the Johnston film, but the input of writers Markus and McFeely (of Pain & Gain fame, as well as Thor: The Dark World), along with some early reviews, make me suspect that there's a serious streak in The Winter Soldier.

Plus exploding helicarriers--although they really ought to have left that a surprise for the film and well out of the trailer.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I dismiss Ide's dismissal of Manhunter.

Ideologue

A B+ isn't a dismissal.  Don't be like that.  I gave it a good review.
Kinemalogue