Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

So was Master & Commander.

Neil

Quote from: frunk on March 28, 2014, 12:15:42 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 27, 2014, 11:40:49 PM
Eddie: Not even Gravity?  Sir, you missed out. :(

Eddie & Syt: Star Trek 12 is a funny one because it is sort of entertaining up until the last thirty minutes (and as I note, it has a just wonderful opening sequence) but its descent into reference in lieu of narrative is so offensive, I had to put it near the bottom.  And it wasn't till Sound Studio that I saw a movie that I felt held its audience in more contempt than Star Trek 12.
I think I mentioned this before, but what I like about Into Darkness is the commentary that [spoiler]Spock is a better hero than Kirk, since he saves the day and rescues his comrade[/spoiler].  I'm not sure this could be achieved nearly so well without descending into reference.  It helps that I find Pine's Kirk to have all of Shatner's smugness and none of his charm (a problem I lay on the direction not the actor), so having him be shown up, even if only through reference, is a delight.
Yeah, Pine's Kirk suffers a bit too much from the demands of modern filmmaking.  He's a Man of Action, whereas Shatner's Kirk could be downright cerebral from time to time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2014, 02:52:05 PM
So was Master & Commander.

I was talking about Man of Steel, not Iron men on wooden ships.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2014, 03:09:39 PM
I was talking about Man of Steel, not Iron men on wooden ships.

That's great.  i was talking about Master and Commander.

viper37

Anybody still watching Vikings?

What was that thing hiding under the ex-monk's bed?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2014, 05:28:22 PM
Anybody still watching Vikings?

What was that thing hiding under the ex-monk's bed?

I ragequit vikings after three episodes. If I want to see vikings I get drunk and look in the mirror. If I've had enough I see more than one of me.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

I feel like the second season has improved on a lot, although the occasional flashes of !MAGIC! aren't necessarily helping. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Norgy

Vikings is the single most offensive thing done to the Nordic countries since Churchill's invasion plans in 1939. End of.
It basically has most things so wrong it hurts.
They could've done everyone a favour and just called it "The Legend Of Ragnar Lodbrok".

garbon

I wasn't aware we had so many drama queens after Mart left.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Vikings gives me a murder boner. Plus I got to watch chicks grunt as they got cut down last episode.

WIN WIN
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

'Star Trek - Darkness Thingy' - passable, comic book cgi-fest.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Queequeg

Holy Fuck.  This season of Hannibal is so fucking perfect.  Fuck fuck fuck.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son