News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I remember Quest for Peace pretty well though.  Good times.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

That's unfortunate, but not surprising.

Was it: a B+?

Ideologue

When I was ten?  It was totally an A+.

I'm still fond of the idea that a rural granger with strong left-wing values tempered by experience and common sense might dominate all the world, imposing his will upon its out-of-touch elites with such decisiveness that they realize they'd better applaud and agree if they know what's good for them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

I bet you haven't even started the Michael Pare Triple Play, like I fucking told you to.

Ideologue

I haven't even watched Dredd again, so I could write it up like I promised Tim like a month ago.  I'm really blocked.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 25, 2014, 09:37:59 PM
I haven't even watched Dredd again, so I could write it up like I promised Tim like a month ago.  I'm really blocked.

Keep tim in suspense. It won't take much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Tim can't remember being this excited for an Ideologue review in ages!! :w00t:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

Rachel Getting Married, one of my favorite movies from the last 10 years. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2014, 06:52:25 PM
I must have missed that episode.  Did Frank bang her or what?

Yes. If I remember correctly...or he came close to it or something.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

What the hell! :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2014, 10:44:53 PM

God I hated that.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 26, 2014, 10:30:44 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2014, 10:44:53 PM

God I hated that.  :(
Tunde Adebimpe was the only bright spot of my adolescence.  :mad:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on March 25, 2014, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2014, 01:12:27 PM
Understandable, though. There weren't any kind of ancillary markets back then so film studios didn't have any reason to keep extensive archives. They kept copies in circulation for rerun theaters, but the advent of talkies rendered most silent films as little more than landfill material. Film preservation and archivism didn't take off until the 50s-60s, when the frenchies convinced the rest of the world that it was art.

Heh, also the fact that until the development of "safety film" films were dangerously flammable - and got more so as they deteriorated with age! Keeping them around was actively bad for your health.  ;)

They were printed on nitrocellulose, which goes by the colloquial name "Guncotton."  In the nineteenth century armies experimented with it as a substitute for black powder, but it was found to be too unstable.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2014, 08:48:43 AM
What the hell! :mad:

I'm a bad person and I deserve your scorn.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

The Circus (1928)

In my opinion this is the weakest of Charlie Chaplin's feature length "Tramp" films.  There are some really funny moments in it; most notably the opening sequence chase through the fun house and the climax where the Tramp performs a high wire act as he's being mobbed by monkeys.  The problem is that the plot exists mostly to tie the funny bits together; and while this could be said about most of Chaplin's films, in "The Circus" the plot holes are so noticeable that they become a distraction.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock