News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Brian DePalma's career is like wallpaper, all over the place.  Sometimes he makes a fantastic film, sometimes I think he's just mailing it in to make the alimony payments.

celedhring

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 24, 2014, 10:26:40 PM
I somehow contracted Ide's raging DePalmabola and watched Body Double yesterday.  It was pretty ridiculous, but pretty great, I have to admit.

That's Brian de Palma in a nutshell. Great and ridiculous at the same time. Lots of his films manage to be at the same time awful and awesome. Phantom of Paradise  :lol:

Maladict

Was forced to watch Ocean's Thirteen with (what I thought were) friends.
Twelve was really lame, but this is much, much worse.
I hate people.

Eddie Teach

A brief glance at De Palma's Imdb page suggests he should stick to mob movies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on March 25, 2014, 04:11:47 AM
I hate people.

I totally disagree there. 11 was so-so, 12 was terrible, 13 was really pretty good.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2014, 05:18:24 AM
Quote from: Maladict on March 25, 2014, 04:11:47 AM
I hate people.

I totally disagree there. 11 was so-so, 12 was terrible, 13 was really pretty good.

You're right, it should be 11 and 12.
Didn't know there were three nor, apparently, which one I just watched :blush:

Beenherebefore

Emmy Rossum.  :blush:

William H. Macy is a brilliant actor as a late stage alcoholic.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2014, 04:26:48 AM
A brief glance at De Palma's Imdb page suggests he should stick to mob movies.

What, like Wise Guys?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 25, 2014, 08:55:31 AM

I've found her character's arc recently to be obnoxious. From the most stable to least in a smattering of episodes?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Beenherebefore

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2014, 11:07:40 AM

I've found her character's arc recently to be obnoxious. From the most stable to least in a smattering of episodes?

I am guessing there is some "moral statement" in the change of Fiona. The last episode was ranging from silly to just  :glare:

My favourite character is Mickey. Far out, violent, gay and Irish.
Still have to say what Showtime has done with what was a fairly average British show is very good.
Good cast, decent enough a plot, and just dark enough not to be a sit-com.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

garbon

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 25, 2014, 11:29:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2014, 11:07:40 AM

I am guessing there is some "moral statement" in the change of Fiona. The last episode was ranging from silly to just  :glare:

My favourite character is Mickey. Far out, violent, gay and Irish.
Still have to say what Showtime has done with what was a fairly average British show is very good.
Good cast, decent enough a plot, and just dark enough not to be a sit-com.

Agree with all of the above.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

The show is becoming a little too Fiona-centric.

Savonarola

Monte Cristo (1922)

In 1815 a sailor was sent to prison by an ambitious prosecutor for a crime he didn't commit.  He eventually escaped from the mysterious Chateau d'If into the Marseillaise underground...

;)

This adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo has the usual problems of the adaptations.  The best part is the jail break in the beginning (which half the film is dedicated to.)  The revenge is rushed and features a large cast that doesn't appear in the first half of the movie.  Without a familiarity with the book it would be a confusing film.

They do throw in more swashbuckle than is in the book.  A high point is when Dantes and De Villefort duel with sabers in the courtroom.  This being a Hollywood film there's even a happy ending where Mercedes and Edmond are reunited and Albert and Haidee hook up; and they all make a living from the sea.

The man who plays the Count, John Gilbert, was a major star in the 1920s but today is largely remembered for having his career ruined by the machinations of Louis B. Mayer.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

Savonarola, you ever figured how many silent movies you have seen?  I wonder how many are currently preserved in their entirety. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)