News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Michael Dobbs and Adam Price (writer of Borgen) is making a political drama for BBC. Colour me interested.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Netflix didn't have it on blu-ray.  I require a high definition experience.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2014, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 21, 2014, 09:59:43 AM
Breaking Bad and Hannibal are visually interesting works.  That's still probably an unfair comparison due to the larger budget and competitive advantage America has in making motion pictures of all stripes, though. -_-

An episode of Breaking Bad cost twice the amount of a Millenium episode, while also being half as short.

You could say there was a missed opportunity there to produce it as a proper film, with a more ambitious style. The theatrical cut made a killing abroad, most certainly.  But as a tv mini-series in a language with not too many speakers (which makes funding more difficult), it is very well done.

Well, I'm giving it another shot.  After I watch Dredd.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on March 21, 2014, 11:09:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2014, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 21, 2014, 09:59:43 AM
Breaking Bad and Hannibal are visually interesting works.  That's still probably an unfair comparison due to the larger budget and competitive advantage America has in making motion pictures of all stripes, though. -_-

An episode of Breaking Bad cost twice the amount of a Millenium episode, while also being half as short.

You could say there was a missed opportunity there to produce it as a proper film, with a more ambitious style. The theatrical cut made a killing abroad, most certainly.  But as a tv mini-series in a language with not too many speakers (which makes funding more difficult), it is very well done.

Well, I'm giving it another shot.  After I watch Dredd.

I'm not saying it's "great" - it is not. It's just very good for what it is.

Quote from: Ideologue
Oh, and I bought Snake Eyes.

Snake Eyes is one of those De Palma movies which aren't really great but have so much cool visual gimmicks you just can't stop giggling when watching it. Love how the first shot pretty much contains the whole film within itself.

garbon

A Jem & The Holograms movie is coming!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on March 20, 2014, 06:42:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2014, 02:52:57 PM...

i don't know the context behind that discussion a year ago between you and yi, but your original comment isn't fair based strictly off what is said in those quotes. in the purge, the nation's economy does not require the purge. the economy merely greatly benefits from the purge. require and greatly benefit are very different

You are splitting an odd hairs here.  You could just as easily say the economy doesn't need money or electricity, people will still trade for stuff so there will still be an economy.  In the film they make it clear that the time before the purges were terrible times and that their economy has been saved because of it.  In fact the main character's wealth is creating because of the purge.  Without it, he'd not be wealthy.  The impression the film gives is that the economy needs the purge just as the Southern economy needed slaves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2014, 11:40:13 AM

Good.  Now the women from my generation can stop complaining that only our favorite cartoons get horrible big budget films.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Is Lost worth watching?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on March 21, 2014, 12:00:50 PM
Is Lost worth watching?

Sure. Just don't expect the central mysteries to be satisfactorily resolved.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2014, 11:40:13 AM

that's outrageous, truly truly truly outrageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP1VnM-r0sU
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on March 21, 2014, 10:40:23 AM
Michael Dobbs and Adam Price (writer of Borgen) is making a political drama for BBC. Colour me interested.
:mmm:

But that's an interesting combo. House of Cards and Borgen don't really sit well together.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Just watched "Grand Budapest Hotel", very entertaining and Tintinesque.