And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

So, I'm excited:
QuoteUnder the Skin review – 'Very erotic, very scary'
Jonathan Glazer's sci-fi horror-flick, starring Scarlett Johansson as an extraterrestrial roaming Glasgow in a white van, picking up men, is visually stunning and deeply disturbing

5 out of 5
Peter Bradshaw Guardian film critic

The Guardian, Thursday 13 March 2014 15.00 GMT

A-list alien ... Scarlett Johansson at large in Glasgow in Under the Skin

It sure as hell got under mine. Jonathan Glazer's sci-fi horror is loosely adapted, or atmospherically distilled, by Walter Campbell from the 2000 novel by Michel Faber. The result is visually stunning and deeply disturbing: very freaky, very scary and very erotic. It also comes with a dog-whistle of absurdist humour that I suspect has been inaudible for some American reviewers on the international festival circuit so far.

The heroine is an alien predator at large in Scotland. Maybe you have to be a Scot, or anyway a Brit, to appreciate Glazer's masterstroke in casting Scarlett Johansson as the exotic alien in humanoid form, with her soft London accent, tousled black wig and sexy fake fur, driving a knackered white van around the tough streets of Glasgow, picking up men. She winds down the passenger-side window, artlessly engages them in conversation, and takes them back to her place. Between encounters, she roams, gazing at streetscapes, and making them alien with that gaze – like a Craig Raine poem. At one stage, she and her van are surrounded by guys with Celtic scarves. She is the ultimate Rangers supporter.

There is pure situationist genius in the bizarre spectacle of sleek Johansson being placed in this context, with lots of hidden-camera shots of real passers-by in real Glasgow streets and real Glasgow shopping centres, all these people being coolly sized up and assessed for their calorific value. From these genuine crowds, professional actors will seamlessly emerge for dialogue scenes. You can never forget it is Johansson on the screen, and that is surely the point. A Hollywood A-lister is as much of an alien here as any extraterrestrial from a flying saucer. (The final credits reveal that as well as a personal assistant, Johansson had a "personal security" team. I wonder if they were called upon at any point.) Her alien is voluptuous, superbly insouciant, unaffected by her surroundings – though I think feeling the cold a tiny bit. She greets the stunned menfolk with an unreadably polite half-smile. This is how I imagine Elizabeth Taylor to have looked and behaved when Richard Burton first took her to Port Talbot.

The story of Johansson's alien begins with a mysterious and Kubrickian "birth" scene in a brilliantly rendered dimensionless otherworld. The alien is transferred to Scotland's dark, rainy streets and it – she – appears to have a minder, who rides a motorbike, and secures for her a human bodyshape from a dead girl retrieved from the roadside. Or perhaps that is another expired alien whose shape is being reused. At any rate, our alien is soon up and running in her Ford Transit, seducing wide-eyed males who can't believe their good luck and are quite right not to.

At the seashore, she witnesses a complex "rescue" scene in which earthling emotions of pity and compassion are on display – feelings she does not share. The most staggering scene is one in which the alien picks up a young man with the facial disfigurement of neurofibromatosis, played by Adam Pearson. The alien does not essentially distinguish between his looks and those of her other victims, but there is a crisis, and the alien becomes vulnerable: a potential victim herself.

Glazer has stylishly absorbed the influences of Nic Roeg and David Lynch, with something of Gaspar Noé in the hardcore moments and maybe an echo of Bertrand Tavernier's Glasgow film Death Watch. There are memories of An American Werewolf in London and even, in the alien's loneliness, a touch of ET. But Glazer places his film in such a different and unexpected locale: in tough city streets more associated with Andrea Arnold or Ken Loach. The quicksilver shapes of futurist bodyhorror fantasy are scuffed with social-realist grit, but modified, too, with Jonathan Glazer's brilliant flair for visual impact. And I'm someone who still watches this director's horses-in-the-surf Guinness commercial on YouTube and gasps. His previous films Sexy Beast (2000) and Birth (2004) had more conventional twisty plots. This is a pure intravenous injection of mood.

And what is that alien doing anyway? Just eating? Or is she the advance party of a colonising power that has conquered England and is coming north? Johansson's alien has clearly hit a Hadrian's Wall of trouble in these misty lands and found that the Scots are not so easy to subdue.

At the press screening, the final credits were greeted by a sudden nasal exhalation from us critics: the sound of people realising they have been holding their breath. It's the equivalent of regular audiences jumping to their feet and applauding.
:mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2014, 10:29:34 AM
starring Scarlett Johansson as an extraterrestrial roaming Glasgow in a white van, picking up men, is visually stunning and deeply disturbing

Been done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

On that Zombie show, I really like this character development shows we've been getting in this 2nd half of the season.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2014, 10:40:41 AM
On that Zombie show, I really like this character development shows we've been getting in this 2nd half of the season.

I like them but think I'd like them more if I was binge watching. As it is, they feel like the plot has been frozen in place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2014, 10:33:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2014, 09:48:54 AM
Apparently Frozen is gay propaganda. :hmm:

http://news.yahoo.com/frozen-gay-conspiracy-theory-094500946--politics.html
I've seen Let it Go, I could see that as a metaphor for coming out.

When gay people come out, do they sit in their houses and not do anything for the rest of the picture?

And yes, you should see Tangled.  It's superb.  Fourth best Disney animated feature, unless Treasure Planet holds some serious surprises for me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on March 13, 2014, 10:14:15 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 13, 2014, 09:24:24 AM
It was probably too intense for the sensibilities of the time.  They hadn't yet been exposed to Die Hard, so how could they contextualize it On a Train?

:lol:

I was thinking it was like Speed when I was watching it, in that it wastes almost no time in getting to the action (and that Keanu Reeves displays about the same range of emotion as the Great Stone Face.)  Die Hard is a better analogy.

If this train goes over 30, it will explode. :o
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Glazer did the Karmacoma video!  :wub:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2014, 10:29:34 AM
So, I'm excited:
QuoteUnder the Skin review – 'Very erotic, very scary'
Jonathan Glazer's sci-fi horror-flick, starring Scarlett Johansson as an extraterrestrial roaming Glasgow in a white van, picking up men, is visually stunning and deeply disturbing
:mmm:

Shown this to my Glaswegian boss; he's pumped about it. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quick query re: Grand Piano, inasmuch as sone of you guys are snobs. Are classical concerts really like thirty-five minutes long and consistent of four songs? Or is that a screen conceit? Seems like not a lot to dress up and shell out like $200 for. :hmm:
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on March 13, 2014, 01:08:19 PM
Quick query re: Grand Piano, inasmuch as sone of you guys are snobs. Are classical concerts really like thirty-five minutes long and consistent of four songs? Or is that a screen conceit? Seems like not a lot to dress up and shell out like $200 for. :hmm:

Your Stalinesque attitude to culture is well known.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I like value. Anyway, was a serious question.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on March 13, 2014, 01:08:19 PM

The symphonies I've been to are usually about 2 hours with a 30 minute intermission.  Usually there will be three or four pieces.  Dressing up isn't a requirement in the United States.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

They make you wear pants like the Hiterites they are. :angry:

Thanks, Sav. :hug:

The last one I went to seemed like it was about eight hours, but it was also students at university, so it's probably fairer to blame the musicians than the music. But in any event, it's hard to recall its actual duration.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

When I was in graduate school I used to abuse my student ID and get student rush tickets to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.  For $9 I would get a seat on the main floor next to very old people who had lived privileged lives.  Many of them had "Careers" like amateur pianist or professor of Jewish studies.

One time I was sitting next to a woman of a certain age.  Before the concert the "Turn off your cell phone" message came on.

Woman:  Can you believe those cell phones?
Savonarola:  I know
Woman:  They're everywhere and people on them are so rude (pause) what do you do for a living?
Savonarola:  I'm a radio frequency engineer for AT&T wireless.
Woman:  Oh...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock