News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 26, 2014, 08:28:26 PM
I never watched God and Generals, is it as good as Gettysburg?

Where is your Dredd review Ide? I'm waiting! :angry:
I think it was American Scipio who described it to me when it came out, and he (or whomever else told me about it on Pdox forum), you have to be a huge civil war fan to appreciate the movie, and even then, it has too many lenghts.  I might have paraphrased a little, but it's about it.

That being said, I think the extended blu ray version is much, much, better than the original "theatrical" release.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2014, 12:05:46 AM

I think it was American Scipio who described it to me when it came out, and he (or whomever else told me about it on Pdox forum), you have to be a huge civil war fan to appreciate the movie,
I am! :w00t:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

G&G was the only ACW movie I switched off after an hour. Incoherent mess and too many repetitive character monologues.

If there's a re-edited version that improves on it I'd be willing to give it a try, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

After this past Wednesday's episode, I think Arrow might be my favorite show on television right now, and one of my favorite shows of all time.  Something about it just entertains the heck out of me on multiple levels.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Life of Pi. Beautiful movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on February 27, 2014, 06:35:39 PM
:lol:

I'm extremely cold on Fritz Lang, anyway.  I need to watch some Murnau and/or Lubitsch and/or Stroheim and/or Ophuls to determine if Germans suck, or just one of them.

Murnau's "The Last Laugh" (Der letzte Mann) is one of my favorite silent films.  Except for the tacked on happy ending there's no title cards (even the signs in the washing rooms are in Esperanto, reflecting Murnau's belief that cinema was a universal language.)  Nosferatu and Sunrise (an American film) are also both worth watching.

Pabst's "Pandora Box" (Die Büchse der Pandora) is another German silent film I strongly recommend.  It's based on a play by Frank Wedekind and starring the lovely Louise Brooks as Lulu.  (The same play would be the inspiration for Berg's opera "Lulu.") 

Stroheim was Austrian, not German, (though he did play the evil German in many US World War I propaganda films.  He was "The man you love to hate" before he was a director and the man Irving Thalberg loved to hate....)  What remains of "Greed" is amazing; but it's obviously an incomplete masterpiece.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2014, 03:25:28 AM
G&G was the only ACW movie I switched off after an hour. Incoherent mess and too many repetitive character monologues.

If there's a re-edited version that improves on it I'd be willing to give it a try, though.
it adds the battle of Antietam in the middle of the movie, wich makes it less dull than what I remember.  The first time I've seen it, I thought it dragged on&on needlessy, but I think the Blu Ray version I have as improved things.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

tim: i really enjoyed it when i was 15. at the very least it has a nice intro. haven't seen it since, though

lustindarkness

I enjoyed it. It was long and mostly slow, but enjoyable. I went ahead and got Gettysburg to watch next week. Might as well right?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Scipio

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 28, 2014, 11:25:13 AM
I enjoyed it. It was long and mostly slow, but enjoyable. I went ahead and got Gettysburg to watch next week. Might as well right?

If you watch G&G, you think, Holy crap, this movie is terrible. Then, if you later watch Gettysburg, you think, How come this guy made G&G so crappy?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

Link.

QuoteThe second-season premiere of Hannibal opens in medias res before cutting back several weeks to pick up the story in the immediate aftermath of season one. It's the kind of storytelling device that normally irritates by going out of its way to open a potentially slow-building story with a moment of high tension. But it unquestionably works here. For one thing, the sequence that opens the premiere is huge and baroque, both of which make Hannibal so great. For another, the series subtly tweaks the fact that anyone who's been invested in pop culture in the last 30 years knows where this story is going, but they don't the origins of the story. Hannibal is living proof that the fun of TV can be as much about process as results, and if the first two episodes of season two are any indication, then it has its sights set on nothing less than becoming the best show on TV.

Once that prologue is over, Hannibal slips back into what it does so well: telling the story of a deeply damaged crime solver and the brilliant psychopath who's manipulating him at every turn. Showrunner Bryan Fuller frequently describes the series as a set of novels for TV, which means that each season will boast a subtly different status quo. And there are two major differences this season: First, as shown in last season's finale, genius criminal profiler Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) is behind bars, framed for crimes committed by his therapist, Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen), and second, Will now knows that Hannibal is the darkness that haunts his dreams, and it's something he's not willing to let go of, no matter how much others insist he must be a criminal. It's a fascinating dynamic, and Fuller and company have lots of fun with doing visual homages to previous movies featuring Hannibal, only with Will in place of the madman.

At its heart, Hannibal is one of TV's best examinations of the nature of evil, but it's also a dark pulp thriller, with a rich sense of momentum and spine-tingling fun. Hannibal never forgets that for all of the emotionally rich scenes of two people sitting together and talking about their weaknesses, it's a horror tale first and foremost, and these two episodes are rich with disturbing images, as well as moments when Will or another character has a realization that creates heart-thumping terror. The series is also more comfortable with spreading out its "case of the week" structure, with the season's first case—revolving around a large number of bodies found caught in a stream in odd states of decomposition—taking up the first two episodes and falling largely away in favor of advancing the horror, not the logic, of the story.

The words "dream logic" can be a kind of epithet to some TV fans, often used to excuse stories where the events don't make rational sense, because there are cool images or plot twists. What's unique about Hannibal is that it actually becomes better the further it leaves logic behind. It's careful to always keep one toe in reality—the ways that Hannibal manipulates and casually destroys those around him more or less make rational sense—but for the most part, it feels far more comfortable to pursue the idea that Hannibal is almost a demonic force, sent from hell to corrupt the world.

Thus, the second season creates an emotional battleground even more rife with conflict than season one's. The question becomes less whether Will is guilty or innocent of the crimes he's accused of—nearly everyone has at least a vague sense that he might have been framed—and whether they'll pursue that vague sense to its logical end, which must insist that Hannibal is as evil as Will says he is. Making that leap doesn't just mean accusing a colleague of being a serial killer; it also means excusing the fact that everyone who worked with him was at least somewhat complicit in his crimes by never noticing the monster that stood before them, by missing any obvious clues because of the surface he presented to the world, by eating at his dinner parties (where they surely consumed human flesh). Fuller has always been canny about using things the audience already knows about Hannibal against it, and he does the same to his own characters here, as everyone from Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne) to Bedelia Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson) becomes a potential pawn in a game of chess by mail played by Hannibal and Will.

Hannibal has always been beautiful, and that's still the case. (The image that closes episode one is especially memorable for its raw, gorgeous horror.) It's also always featured dialogue and plots that stay just on the right side of being too pretentious, and that remains the case. If there are any notable steps up from season one, it's both in the tension that mounts thanks to the great game played between Will and Hannibal and in the better use of the show's supporting cast. Characters like Caroline Dhavernas' Alana Bloom matter so much more now, and the series makes the most of a great performance it was often sidelining last year. (The rest of the acting, particularly from Dancy and Mikkelsen, is typically great.) Most of all, though, Hannibal follows the lead of that teaser: What was a dull roar in season one is now an existential howl out of the demonic dark. The monsters are out from under the bed, and there's no putting them back there.

Developed by: Bryan Fuller, from the character created by Thomas Harris
Starring: Hugh Dancy, Mads Mikkelsen, Caroline Dhavernas, Laurence Fishburne
Returns: Friday at 10 p.m. Eastern on NBC
Format: Hour-long horror drama
Two episodes watched for review

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Fuck, Spellus used the Ron Paul gif I use. Tainted.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Turns out Hannibal is a damned fine show.

I'm glad that over the season they toned down the stupid glowing pendulum effect and the reversed footage whenever Will used his superpowers.  Sometimes it worked, but the pendulum was always really goofy.  Bad idea.

[spoiler]While it's not a substantial criticism, I'm also pretty sure that the investigation in "Will's" murders would throw a great deal of suspicion upon Lecter as well.  I mean, especially given that everybody loves the cuddly little crazy fellow, suspicion should have gun attaching to Lecter by now.

And when exactly is Jack Crawford going lose his job?  For fuck's sake.[/spoiler]

Overall, enjoyable, and I look forward to Season 2 whenever it happens to come onto VOD services. :)  B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)