News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

That didn't look horrifying at all.

Besides, I'm was born in the 80s. There wasn't anything particularly horrifying about Godzilla around then - at least I don't recall thinking that. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

I thought it did.  Effective civilization-destroying movies are often the most upsetting for me, though.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I found parts of Cloverfield terrifying, though, and I grew up with Kaiju movies. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

All the monster-related bits of Cloverfield were pretty chilling, it's easily the scariest kaiju film I have seen - the found footage shtick for once helps the movie and makes it more realistic* - you never know what's going on and that builds up the fear, plus you don't see the big bad that much; when it does show up it is usually to great effect. The movie makes great use of limited POV, I thought.

Pity I actually wanted the monster to eat all those insufferable pricks. [spoiler]Which it does :)[/spoiler]

*If you forego the part where you ask yourself why the guy bothers to film everything given all the life-threatening situations he goes through.

CountDeMoney

OK, the next motherfucker that uses "kaiju" as a Imma-monster-movie-insider hipster reference gets one of Ed's fists in the nutsack.

But yes, I was also rooting for the Cloverfield monster to kill all those annoying ass yuppies.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

I'm just too lazy to type "monster movies were such monsters are as tall as skyscrapers and destroy cities with sheer abandon"

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

lustindarkness

Ed, let me know when you are headed down. You like BBQ ribs? I know a few good places.

Kaiju
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2014, 04:12:44 PM
I am embarrassingly excited by the Lego Movie :blush:

Because it's wonderful? :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on February 25, 2014, 10:28:31 PM
That was the entire point of the original Godzilla.  The original Godzilla is straight-up horror.

It's still a mistake.  No kid grew up thinking Gojira was the best one.  Only snobs think that as adults.

M (1931).  Lacks humanity other than the scenes where Peter Lorre is allowed to act, but otherwise an interestingly shot, reasonably engaging procedural about crime lords tracking down a child murderer.  Far less garbagey than Metropolis.  B

Blancanieves  (2012/13).  Another neo-silent film in the same vein as The Artist, but not nearly as good, this tells the story of Snow White, a girl whose mother dies and whose bullfighter father is crippled on the same day, and not too long afterwards has the hooks put into him by an evil stepmother, who... wait, bullfighting?  Well, it's Spanish.  It's pretty decent, although the payoff of the stepmother's end is simply not there in the way it is in Disney's Snow White or even ...And the Huntsman; on the other hand, the decision to take a more tragic turn is credited.  Handheld in a silent film, though?  Fuck you.  B

RoboCop (1988).  Social commentary satire blah blah blah.  Did you not see Murphy's hand fly right the fuck off?  A

Into the Wild (20xx).  Coddled, pretentious, douchey kid decides to escape society in a Thoreau-esque fashion, doesn't seem to realize that all the tools he's carrying with him that are the only way he'll survive represent the work of society.  He's terrible at being a survivalist and eats it, which redeems the film somewhat, if not quite all the way.  It's not bad-bad, but it's also too long.  C+

Aladdin  (1994).  Watched it Ron Clement and John Musker's and some lady producer's commentary.  Much like the directing duo's commentary on The Little Mermaid, I found it enlightening and entertaining.  A+

King Kong (1933).  Made out a lot during a beginning, so I have to give it an incomplete.  However, the last hour is just balls-to-the-wall awesome Willis O'Brien stop motion animation.  A+ for the last hour, for sure.

Hannibal Season 1 (2013).  One more episode to go!  Pretty good so far.  I
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

OK so, at 7 in the evening my son tells me he has to watch Gods and Generals for tomorrow. That's like almost 4 hours! Ugh, tomorrow morning is gonna suck.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

For homework?

Go punch the teacher in the nuts.