And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on February 08, 2014, 10:09:28 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2014, 02:40:55 PM
Checking out some other reviews - generally people didn't hate it (every single one says "well at least it's better than the Total Recall remake"), but no one fell in love with it either.
I did like the Total Recall remake...

Ew.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

The Wildcat (1921)

This is Lubitsch at his least Lubitsch, in fact he's more akin to Tex Avery or Bob Clampett in this wild farce.  Paul Heiderman plays a lieutenant beloved by the ladies.  He's transferred to the frontier and a horde of women show up to wish him goodbye, as well as his innumerable children.  En route he's waylaid by a group of bandits, led by Pola Negri.  He makes it to the fortress on the frontier and there's a series of very silly battles and elaborate chases through monumental sets.

The biggest draw back is that Lubitsch uses mattes throughout the film to cut out the borders.  He uses all sorts of patterns throughout.  It probably seemed funny at the time; but today it's just a distraction.  Otherwise it's a great film; one that would do Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam proud.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 08, 2014, 02:45:42 PM

Ew.

Masturbatory-wise, both have their outstanding qualities, although my personal preference leans to the original in that regard.

Liep

Gravity, beautiful and very gripping.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Rewatched Beautiful Girls last night.  I really love that movie.

Eddie Teach

Funny how aging 15 years turned Annabeth Gish from "good, solid seven and a half" to a drug smuggler's trophy wife.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2014, 03:37:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 08, 2014, 02:45:42 PM

Ew.

Masturbatory-wise, both have their outstanding qualities, although my personal preference leans to the original in that regard.
well, even with Kate Beckinsale and Jessical Biel, they just couldn't beat the aww of a three-breasted woman.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2014, 04:48:47 PM
Funny how aging 15 years turned Annabeth Gish from "good, solid seven and a half" to a drug smuggler's trophy wife.  :hmm:

I googled her trying to hunt down a trophy wife pic, hadn't realized she was the jailbait in Mystic Pizza.  That's acting!

Frankly, I thought 7 and a half in Beautiful Girls was generous.

Sheilbh

So. Shia LaBeouf. Very irritating actor, or most irritating actor? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 09, 2014, 09:27:40 PM

Just very irritating.  Luckily, the Shia storm has passed.

Most Irritating still goes to Tobey Maguire, imho.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 09, 2014, 09:27:40 PM

I think both overstate him. Annoying but trivial.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Neither.  Competent actor with a funny name.

Most irritating actor is Charlie Sheen.  Except in Ferris Beuhler, where he was perfect.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2014, 09:33:53 PMAnnoying but trivial.
That's true of 90% of actors though :P

I think it was his attending the Nymphomania premier wearing a paper bag on his head. At the press conference (where he was deputising for von Trier) he said that Cantona line about the sardines and the trawler, before walking out to the annoyance of the rest of the cast.

He seems like James Franco, but not fun, or clean.

QuoteMost Irritating still goes to Tobey Maguire, imho.
Never been bothered by Tobey Maguire.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Look for a non-sensical and unhelpful review of the Lego Movie tomorrow.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive