News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Captain Phillips.

I don't know. Were we supposed to think of him as a hero? Cause I thought he behaved pretty poorly and jeopardized the rescue mission. Or maybe that was the point. A normal man as opposed to a Bruce Willis character?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2013, 09:09:15 PM
47 Ronin is blazing away at 15% on RT for pre-release reviews.

Apparently it had a budget of $175 million.  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on December 27, 2013, 10:07:27 AM
The Master- Finally got through it on my nth attempt. Just not very good.

Correct.  What'd I give it?  A C+? C? It's really quite boring and devoid of entertainment value, despite a few excellent scenes and possession of the rudiments of a point.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Hammer Horror's The Mummy.

A very good film despite Christopher Lee blacking up and a frankly racist portrayal of the Irish.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Oh, man, I want to see the 59 Mummy.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I saw Anchorman 2. I laughed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Valkyrie. Otto Remer :wub:

Drive Angry. Amber Heard. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Dracula Prince of Darkness :wub:

Currently Curse of Frankenstein - Hammer's first horror. BBC2 has been superb these last few nights :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Hunger.  Liam Cunningham. :wub:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Aladdin.  Ron Clements and John Musker. :wub:

(A+)
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

3 episodes into Hemlock Grove. Interesting, though it does have a bit of a CW-like taint.

Xenia Onatopp :wub:

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on December 27, 2013, 10:28:20 AM
Captain Phillips.

I don't know. Were we supposed to think of him as a hero? Cause I thought he behaved pretty poorly and jeopardized the rescue mission. Or maybe that was the point. A normal man as opposed to a Bruce Willis character?

I thought the point wasn't that he was competent, but simply to examine how--as you say--a reasonably normal dude functions under extreme stress without relief, and to what extend bravery serves as a facade.

The point may also have been to make me sick; if so, mission accomplished.  Paul Greengrass is a fucking Nazi.
Kinemalogue

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 28, 2013, 10:32:55 PM
3 episodes into Hemlock Grove. Interesting, though it does have a bit of a CW-like taint.

Xenia Onatopp :wub:

It says quite a bit about how Bryan Singer mishandled Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey that none of those actors are primarily remembered as playing these iconic roles.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Magneto and Professor X as well. Also Beast while we're at it.  ;)