News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

After the battle is over. She probably didn't pick up the sword at Walmart.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2013, 01:44:23 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2013, 01:02:42 AM
I'm sure she sharpens it when you're not looking.
In the few seconds where the camera cuts away between her chopping off 5 zombies heads and cutting another in half just after smashing open a chain?

Swords don't instantly go dull after use... You use kitchen knives, right?  How many vegetables have you chopped up without sharpening one?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2013, 07:48:12 PM
Do you know how many bullets there are in the US of A?
a lot, certainly.  But as I said, there is a limit to where you can get it, and other people may have gotten there.
Look at medications.  There is certainly tons of medication in all of the USA.  Yet, they say they cleaned up the area of medication, and others before them.

I figured, eventually, something like this might happen with bullets.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Kleves on November 06, 2013, 01:22:39 AM
Something interesting almost happened on Agents of SHIELD this week (the show is just barely holding in the "something to have playing in the background while I play EU3" category) but they didn't even have it in them to kill off Blandy MacScot Girl (not to be confused with Blandy MacScot Guy or Bland Hacker Girl or Bland Agent Guy or Bland Asian Agent Girl). :rolleyes:
Yeah, I thought she was a gonner.  I think it still turned well, but it would have been much more dramatic if they couldn't rescue her.  It seems targetted at teenagers rather than adults.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on November 06, 2013, 02:01:30 AM
In the few seconds where the camera cuts away between her chopping off 5 zombies heads and cutting another in half just after smashing open a chain?

Swords don't instantly go dull after use... You use kitchen knives, right?  How many vegetables have you chopped up without sharpening one?
Cutting a human in two is a bit more difficult. It strikes me as doubtful it could be done so often and so easily with a katana.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2013, 02:38:20 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 06, 2013, 02:01:30 AM

Cutting a human in two is a bit more difficult. It strikes me as doubtful it could be done so often and so easily with a katana.
I'd imagine a modern high end katana produced by a machine shop or whatever would be a lot better than the ones made by medieval japan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Even the medieval ones usually could last through a battle.

Josquius

QuoteEven the medieval ones usually could last through a battle.
Not with such epic beheading skills though.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2013, 02:53:26 AM
I'd imagine a modern high end katana produced by a machine shop or whatever would be a lot better than the ones made by medieval japan.
I guess so. Maybe all the criticisms I've read were based on the real thing.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2013, 08:26:15 PM
For Ide:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Disc-DVD-Special-Editions/379003202

50% off on the Criterion Collection

I want Rashomon and Things to Come and The Blob and Videodrome and Paths of Glory (the one real/non-Fear and Desire Kubrick movie I don't own).  :(

I'm also tempted by the Zatoichi set because that's actually a legitimately good price rather than simply being cheap for Criterion, though I'm unsure if I would even like those movies (the one film I've seen, Incident at Blood Pass, starring the actor who plays Zatoichi, Shintaro Katsu, is pretty awful).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

Anyone seen Arrow? I watched the first couple of episodes and it seemed kind of meh. Does it get better?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2013, 03:04:43 AM

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2013, 02:53:26 AM
I guess so. Maybe all the criticisms I've read were based on the real thing.
The high level of craftsmanship was necessary because of the poor quality iron Japan had. Not a problem with a high quality modern sword which would be better than Damascus steel.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Btw, "shield", is that a British thing that it's sometimes pronounced like "tch-ield" ?

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2013, 11:30:15 AM
Btw, "shield", is that a British thing that it's sometimes pronounced like "tch-ield" ?
....No :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

The Ocean Waif (1916)

An orphaned girl is raised by a violent, drunken man and a halfwit hunchback.  She runs away from home after a particularly abusive episode and squats in a nearby abandoned mansion.  Meanwhile a novelist traveling at sea is just given word that his novel has sold 300,000 copies and must immediately start writing his next novel.  He disembarks and rents a nearby abandoned mansion.  Hilarity ensues.

This is a paint-by-numbers rom-com by one of the first female directors, Alice Guy.  This was just about at the end of her career.  She refused to move to the west coast when the film industry moved there; and instead returned to France to lecture on film and to be forgotten.  The only surviving print is in pretty rough shape with missing scenes or severely decayed film.

The high point of the film is when the now dolled up waif returns home after the obligatory romantic misunderstanding.  Her foster father says in the title card:  "She's a slick looking girl and I ain't her father."  :perv:  Hilarity ensues.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock