News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 03, 2013, 02:01:32 AM
Watching the episode of ST: Voyager with Sarah Silverman.

She's so hot in this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Why is Ben Affleck a Hollywood darling? I just saw the preview for Runner Runner and was reminded about how dreadful he is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Because he's a pretty good director.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

He hasn't directed that many films and was a darling before he took that up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

:hmm:

He's awesome in real life? Matt Damon's got shit on everyone & they are cozing up to his friends?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2013, 07:06:40 AM
He hasn't directed that many films and was a darling before he took that up.

He was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Wuthering Heights (1939)

Passions run high on the moor in this William Wyler adaptation of Emily Brontë's novel.  Allegedly stars Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon detested one another.  That works remarkably well given Cathy and Heathcliff's (it's no my-y-yth) relationship.  David Niven is in this as well as Cathy's husband Edgar.

Hollywood pulled out all the stops for this one, even going so far as importing heather and planting it in southern California.  The problem with the movie is that it only covers the first half of the novel.  Heathcliff has exacted his revenge on Hindley and Edgar but he hasn't carried it out so far that he's managed to destroy himself as well.  Since there isn't a second generation so there's no hope for a brighter future.  These things are what give the novel its strength; but probably wouldn't have worked in the film.  Thus Cathy's death has to be the climax.

The ending is a big gooey slice of Yorkshire Farmhouse Cheddar.  William Wyler didn't want to put it in, but Samuel Goldwyn insisted on it.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Viking on October 02, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2013, 03:48:40 PM
Inacurate.  It should have said 8 weeks, at least.

No, seriously, cancer gets you in right away. Its one of those diseases where 8 weeks matter. Or.. maybe the Norwegian Universal Health Care System is just less inefficient than the canadian one? With my mom it was, go home, pack a bag, treatment begins in the morning.
Median waiting times for Ontario were 4 weeks last I checked.  Quebec is 6-8 weeks.  Some types of cancer get priority, some others will wait longer.  Often, people are discretly sent to the US for treatments.  Some will go by themselves and sue the governments to payback the costs.  Coverage varies from area to area.  And you,re required to traval at (mostly) your own expenses to get your treatments, since not every hospital can give it to you.  People from not-so-remote areas regulardly go bankrupt paying for their travels, leaving their jobs, paying the uncovered medications.

According to WHO, Canadian health care system is on par with the US, ranked 32nd in the world.  US system is faster and cures more people who enter, but overall, since less people enter, it loses points on accessibility.  In Canada, everyone can be treated, but there's not enough room for everyone to be treated.  The downside of covering everything&everyone for "free" (no fees directly paid by the consumer on a per visit basis).

Most european countries have mixed private & public healthcare system, making them more efficient, combining the strength of both.  In Quebec&Canada, it's nearly entirely public.  Only a few exams can be done by private clinics, and these are usually paid by other government agencies (say, for work or road related accidents).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on October 02, 2013, 10:38:46 PM
WHEDON'S Agents of S.E.R.E.N.I.T.Y Season 2 Ep 2 plot summary
I'm beginning to think this might be the weakest of Whedon's work so far.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on October 03, 2013, 01:15:56 PM
Eh besides the pilot he is now just EP, the day to day and writing are his Brother and Sister in law.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 03, 2013, 01:12:26 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 02, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2013, 03:48:40 PM
Inacurate.  It should have said 8 weeks, at least.

No, seriously, cancer gets you in right away. Its one of those diseases where 8 weeks matter. Or.. maybe the Norwegian Universal Health Care System is just less inefficient than the canadian one? With my mom it was, go home, pack a bag, treatment begins in the morning.
Median waiting times for Ontario were 4 weeks last I checked.  Quebec is 6-8 weeks.  Some types of cancer get priority, some others will wait longer.  Often, people are discretly sent to the US for treatments.  Some will go by themselves and sue the governments to payback the costs.  Coverage varies from area to area.  And you,re required to traval at (mostly) your own expenses to get your treatments, since not every hospital can give it to you.  People from not-so-remote areas regulardly go bankrupt paying for their travels, leaving their jobs, paying the uncovered medications.

According to WHO, Canadian health care system is on par with the US, ranked 32nd in the world.  US system is faster and cures more people who enter, but overall, since less people enter, it loses points on accessibility.  In Canada, everyone can be treated, but there's not enough room for everyone to be treated.  The downside of covering everything&everyone for "free" (no fees directly paid by the consumer on a per visit basis).

Most european countries have mixed private & public healthcare system, making them more efficient, combining the strength of both.  In Quebec&Canada, it's nearly entirely public.  Only a few exams can be done by private clinics, and these are usually paid by other government agencies (say, for work or road related accidents).

Huh? I agree that Euro systems tend to be better, but the WHO rankings I can find rate Canada at 30 and the US at 38.

On a purely "efficiency" basis, the Bloomberg rating places Canada at 17 and the US at 46.

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-efficient-health-care-countries

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/29/most-efficient-healthcare_n_3825477.html

Again, the point isn't that the Canadian system is 'the best' (it ain't by a long shot), but rather that those who measure such things tend to measure it as significantly better than the US system.

Edit: for Brain, as requested.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Please, edit the post some more. For me?

Edit: :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: katmai on October 03, 2013, 01:20:08 PM
Eh besides the pilot he is now just EP, the day to day and writing are his Brother and Sister in law.

Yeah, the Brother who wrote Memento and The Dark Knight.

but, as my post was trying to suggest, this is a Firefly script, altered for Shield.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Quote from: Viking on October 03, 2013, 02:34:38 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 03, 2013, 01:20:08 PM

Yeah, the Brother who wrote Memento and The Dark Knight.

Wha?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2013, 07:08:15 AM
:hmm:

He's awesome in real life? Matt Damon's got shit on everyone & they are cozing up to his friends?
Matt Damon is an extremely talented actor, one of the best of his generation. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."