News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 01:34:12 PM
I like hideous municipal sculpture. :(  We have a giant chrome fire hydrant.

Does Cliford the Big Red Dog live in your town?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 01:38:52 PM
That's fucking rad, man.  In Edmonton?

Yup.  At the side of the highway no less.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2013, 01:40:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 01:38:52 PM
That's fucking rad, man.  In Edmonton?

Yup.  At the side of the highway no less.

It looks like a giant flying metal salmon just came on a field.  I LOVE IT.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2013, 01:38:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 01:34:12 PM
I like hideous municipal sculpture. :( 

Here ya go:

Its awsome that they did a sculpture dedicated to the silliness of people using hiking sticks in the city.  Those shiny ball things are pretty cool too.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Funny Face (1957)

Fred Astaire starred in the original 1927 Broadway Musical of "Funny Face," and Audrey Hepburn was born two years later; making their romance in this film a little creepy.  Audrey is supposed to be a mousy bookshop girl in Greenwich Village (she's more believable as that than she is as Liza Doolittle, but not by much.)  Fred is a photographer for a woman's magazine run by Kay Thompson.  They all go to Paris and sing Gershwin songs, Audrey is transformed from mousy to Audrey Hepburn, and true love wins in the end.

Audrey does sing in this film, unlike "Breakfast at Tiffany's" or "My Fair Lady."  She doesn't have a bad voice, but maybe not one that would sell soundtracks.   
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Yeah I watched that earlier this year. Romance was way creepy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 06:05:38 PM
Romance was way creepy.

I dunno, Fred Astaire comes across as a non-threatening father figure, someone that a much younger Village salesgirl Hepburn with obvious Daddy issues could fall for.
I wholeheartedly approve such match-ups at my age.

Eddie Teach

I haven't seen the movie, but I also approve of young chicks going out with older fellows.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

As I approach death, I concur.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 06:28:38 PM
As I approach death, I concur.

We are not encasing you in a golden throne.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 06:10:54 PM
Romance was way creepy.

I dunno, Fred Astaire comes across as a non-threatening father figure, someone that a much younger Village salesgirl Hepburn with obvious Daddy issues could fall for.

He seemed like a kindly though oddly petulant old man that lives down the street. Not someone you want to throw down with in the sheets.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2013, 01:25:25 PM
Saw The World's End which was very funny - though sadly enough it reminded me of several of the people I knew.  :hmm:
Yeah, I saw that on Saturday.  Hilarious.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 07:00:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 06:10:54 PM
Romance was way creepy.

He seemed like a kindly though oddly petulant old man that lives down the street. Not someone you want to throw down with in the sheets.

But that's the thing about chicks:  you don't know what turns them on in their tiny little minds.