And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Cat got up and left the room.

Josquius

Dark Shadows- Crap. Nonsensical. Suddenly introduces plot elements from nowhere at the end. All the funny parts were in the trailer. I've never heard of the original TV show so I didn't even get any nostalgia from it.
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Solomon Kane- several horrible anachronisms (Union Jack in 1600, English Catholic monasteries in 1601, etc.) mar an otherwise excellent adaptation of Howard's bizarre Puritan avenger stories.  Purefoy is superbly cast as Kane.  He does vile reprobate and world-weary penitent equally well, and the few flashbacks are not obtrusive.  If you like your faux-period chthonian pseuo-Christian melodramas with an incredibly violent tinge, you may enjoy this.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on August 25, 2013, 12:55:46 PM
Dark Shadows- Crap. Nonsensical. Suddenly introduces plot elements from nowhere at the end. All the funny parts were in the trailer. I've never heard of the original TV show so I didn't even get any nostalgia from it.
I like the original. The movie was trash. I don't know what Burton or Depp was thinking.  Except $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 25, 2013, 05:32:53 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 25, 2013, 12:55:46 PM
I like the original. The movie was trash. I don't know what Burton or Depp was thinking.  Except $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I feel like the writers got confused when trying to translate a tv series into a movie.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Two things on tonight's Breaking Bad:

1)  [spoiler]That "confession" was sheer genius.  Sheer fucking genius.  Talk about checkmate.[/spoiler]
2)  [spoiler]Fucking Jesse Pinkman.  What a fucking pussy.[/spoiler]

Neil

Now that Breaking Bad is about to end, I might finally start watching it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maladict

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2013, 10:30:15 PM

I'm still at S1E2.  :(

crazy canuck

I started watching it this weekend.  Its ok, but I am not sure I will stick with it.  Not sure I want to watch someone descend into their own personal hell.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 11:33:34 AM

I started watching it this weekend.  Its ok, but I am not sure I will stick with it.  Not sure I want to watch someone descend into their own personal hell.

You do.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 11:33:34 AM

It is far from a straight line into hell, I'm not sure the hell is personal, and it may not be his hell at all.

Savonarola

Cloud Atlas (2012)

The film interleaves six loosely interrelated stories set over a period of five hundred years; each of the stories is a morality play that demonstrates we should be kind to one another1.:)  Unfortunately the message is obvious about half an hour into the three hour movie; so the viewer is stuck watching the same obvious conclusion unfold six times over.

Yoshihiro Nakamura "Fish Story" and DW Griffith's "Intolerance" both use a similar narrative technique to a much better effect.  "Cloud Atlas" does make good use of it's enormous special effects and make up budget as well as its all star cast.  The film is watchable even if a little trite and over-long.

1.  The opposite message of "Languish: The Motion Picture."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on August 26, 2013, 12:06:03 PM
Cloud Atlas (2012)

The film interleaves six loosely interrelated stories set over a period of five hundred years; each of the stories is a morality play that demonstrates we should be kind to one another1.:)  Unfortunately the message is obvious about half an hour into the three hour movie; so the viewer is stuck watching the same obvious conclusion unfold six times over.

Yoshihiro Nakamura "Fish Story" and DW Griffith's "Intolerance" both use a similar narrative technique to a much better effect.  "Cloud Atlas" does make good use of it's enormous special effects and make up budget as well as its all star cast.  The film is watchable even if a little trite and over-long.

1.  The opposite message of "Languish: The Motion Picture."

Not so much that we need to be kind to eachother.  But how the little things really matter.

Malthus

Saw The World's End which was very funny - though sadly enough it reminded me of several of the people I knew.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius