News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on August 24, 2013, 05:12:41 AM
In anticipation of The World's End, watched Hot Fuzz last night.  What a great movie.

I think it's better than Shaun of the Dead, and by the trailers, I can't see how The World's End can be better.  Hot Fuzz is pure genius on so many levels.

garbon

I think you mean it was dreadful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

I actually was trying to think if I'd see this one. I was like based on those last two they are 1 for 2.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2013, 11:18:00 AM
I actually was trying to think if I'd see this one. I was like based on those last two they are 1 for 2.

:yes:  Hot Fuzz was atrociously boring.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2013, 11:01:37 AM
I think you mean it was dreadful.

I doubt anyone means that, because Hot Fuzz is spectacular.

Edit: OK, maybe Habs. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Hot Fuzz has a lot slower buildup, but the end result is spectacular.  Anyone who doesn't think both are brilliant movies is probably suffering some sort of brain malady.

Shaun is still the better movie though.

Syt

Some people are beyond help.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on August 24, 2013, 11:41:24 AM
Hot Fuzz has a lot slower buildup, but the end result is spectacular.  Anyone who doesn't think both are brilliant movies is probably suffering some sort of brain malady.

Shaun is still the better movie though.

I recall liking the end even less though I believe I had already lapsed into a coma at that point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on August 24, 2013, 11:41:24 AM

The opening montage alone was worth the price of admission, as was his transfer and the break-up conversation with his girlfriend at the crime scene, never mind spoofing bad police action flicks.

QuoteShaun is still the better movie though.

Meh, I'm actually watching it right now on cable;  nothing more than a mildly amusing and predictable zombie buddy flick. 

And it doesn't even have Timothy Dalton.  MY DISCOUNTS ARE CRIMINAL

Neil

Hot Fuzz is a great, great movie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

frunk

I think both are equally unpredictable, in that Shaun treads between zombie, romantic comedy and goofy buddy hangout and stomps on each of those conventions at various points.  Similarly Hot Fuzz wanders between straight laced police procedural, 80's action silliness and goofy buddy hangout.