News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

So, Duck Dynasty season premiere breaks ratings records for a reality show. I like this show, it is one of the the only reality shows I watch. But I had no idea it was so popular. I find this interesting.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

Watching the Angry Video Game Nerd again.  The Wizard episode was the bitchin.

Reality TV lusti? The Navy must be pretty sad to need to watch that as a release.
PDH!

lustindarkness

PTSD is a weird thing, guess what reality TV I watch? Mostly from Animal Planet: Gators and swamps, bigfoot, turtleman and fish tanks. LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 16, 2013, 04:52:56 PM
PTSD is a weird thing, guess what reality TV I watch? Mostly from Animal Planet: Gators and swamps, bigfoot, turtleman and fish tanks. LOL
You should watch The Venture Brothers.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

In all the furor and anticipation over Breaking Bad starting up again (lolz, Hank's garage AND WHY ISNT SKYLER FUCKING DEAD ALREADY), did anybody manage to catch the heavily-promo'd US version of Low Winter Sun?  Only one episode under the belt, but I think it's a definite keeper.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Tonitrus

I tried watching it...got boring after 15-20 mins or so.

CountDeMoney

That's why you have to watch the whole episode, Zoomba.

Ed Anger

My Dad hated it. I even programmed the DVR for him.

DON'T TAPE THAT SHIT ANYMORE. WHEN IS JUSTIFIED COMING BACK ON?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Career Opportunities

Frank Whaley
Jennifer Connelly
Dermot Mulroney

Two stars. One for each of Jennifer's boobs, since she spends most of the movie wearing a tight white tank top and no bra. Other than that, meh.

My wife liked it more. She seemed to think if I'd been cast in the main role, it would have been an awesome movie and I'd be a super rich actor by now. :huh:

Okay, who is Frank Whaley anyway?

I told her if that had happened I might be married to Jennifer Connelly instead of her. She said under the theory of parallel universes, there is at least one where I am in fact married to Jennifer Connelly. I don't know where this stuff comes from but it's funny.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
did anybody manage to catch the heavily-promo'd US version of Low Winter Sun?  Only one episode under the belt, but I think it's a definite keeper.

It was ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2013, 01:56:15 AM

My wife liked the movie because it was "cathartic".

Quote from: Catharsis by Mirriam Webster
a purification or purgation that brings about spiritual renewal or release from tension

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Well, I'm exhausted.

MadImmortalMan

Okay so Mrs. MIM has been trying to find every sci-fi show she can recently. I came home the other day and she was watching Dr. Who---the very first fucking episode in black and white.

I have recently showed her the reason Starbuck is a guy, and she was already a huge Firefly fan. She thinks Nathan Fillion is a lot like me and I'm not going to disabuse her of that as long as it winds her engine. So now she's asking me what other sci-fi she should watch. She recently loaded up Lexx on the Netflix, liked it, but started hating it after they switched the German girl out for the manjawed one.

Frankly, "What cool sci-fi should I check out?" is not a question I'm accustomed to hearing from women and I don't know what to tell her. :D

FWIW, she really liked the new Battlestar Galactica, (I didn't), she liked the old BG even more. I think we're more or less agreed that David Tennant was an awesome doctor, and Matt Smith isn't too bad. I'm concerned that my wife probably knows more about the early Dr. Whos than I do. I need to do some homework now.

I have not attempted Babylon5 so grumbler and all his ancestors can explain why my wife might like it, but I dunno.

If I put it on, she will watch.

Basically: Wife was introduced to SciFi, wants more. A lot more. Blade Runner is her favorite movie now I think. I'm thinking nothing really exists that will fit her standards. Then, she comes in my office complaining about the sexism in BSG with the girl pilots flying Vipers. Ok. 1979. :D