And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 09, 2013, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 23, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
There seems to be a good modern day western I have missed or it was not as good as it seems and I don't remember it. :unsure: I'll have to watch it.

Unforgiven (1992), Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Deficiency corrected, finally made the time to watch it. Excellent movie, just excellent.

But you didn't take the time to deconstruct Eastwood over the course of his career first.  Pfft.

lustindarkness

I can't even read Ide's reviews, and you expect me to use more than a sentence to review a movie?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

It's because your schooling was in Spanish, isn't it?  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2013, 11:20:40 PM
It's because your schooling was in Spanish, isn't it?  :mad:

Most of it was, but no, the reason is that I am a lazy spic.  ^_^
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 11:08:09 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on August 09, 2013, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 23, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
There seems to be a good modern day western I have missed or it was not as good as it seems and I don't remember it. :unsure: I'll have to watch it.

Unforgiven (1992), Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Deficiency corrected, finally made the time to watch it. Excellent movie, just excellent.

But you didn't take the time to deconstruct Eastwood over the course of his career first.  Pfft.

It's what the fucking movie is about, for Christ's sake.  It's not exactly subtle.

You asked why I hadn't seen it yet, and that was why.  So I'd have the context in the genre.  Fuck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

He's so cute when he pretends to be all artsy and edumacated and stuff. ^_^
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Lucy certainly wasn't hot, but I wouldn't call her unattractive.

I wouldn't call her unattractive either.  I called her not attractive.  There's a slight difference between the two and I think I'm on the right side of it.  You never thought to yourself, "Lucille Ball, there's a real looker."

QuoteSusan Pleshette

Totally agree.  There's no way Bob Newhart is getting within 100 mile radius of that cooter in real life.

LaCroix

oblivion - enjoyed it, regardless of plot-holes

Ideologue

Quote from: LaCroix on August 10, 2013, 06:17:52 AM
oblivion - enjoyed it, regardless of plot-holes

:)

:hug:

Elysium

" Roughly equivalent in tone, quality, action content, scientific fidelity, and thematic subtlety to the average late-run Gundam Wing episode, and slightly less good at framing, editing, and voice acting."

C+

Full write-up:  Everybody wants to [destroy] the world, part 3
Kinemalogue

Syt

I thought the setting is more similar to Battle Angel Alita (Jeru-Salem).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

I dunno.  Does Battle Angel Alita take its cues from The High Frontier and allied futurist works like Gundam Wing (well, all the Gundam shows) did?  I'm unfamiliar with that show.
Kinemalogue

Syt

It's a Manga, you imbecile (though an inferior anime exists).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_angel_alita
QuoteThe futuristic dystopian world of Battle Angel Alita revolves around the city of Scrapyard, grown up around a massive scrap heap that rains down from Tiphares (Salem in the anime). Ground dwellers have no access to Tiphares and are forced to make a living in the sprawl below. Many are heavily modified by cybernetics to better cope with their hard life.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2013, 06:52:28 AM
It's a Manga, you imbecile (though an inferior anime exists).

Yeah, be that guy.  That guy's way cool.
Kinemalogue

Syt

I just don't like you very much, though I normally don't try to let that bleed into my posting here.
—Stephen Jay Gould