News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Red- Terrible.

The Wolverine- Pretty good. Though I couldn't help but notice the Japan geography fails- they hop on a bullet train at Ueno Station (strange choice) and the lady announces she's going ride it all the way to the end of the line because she has a house in the south. Um...Ueno Station is famous for the Tohoku Shinkansen, the trains south from there only go a mile or two to Tokyo Station, the line goes north....
Then in another part someone announces she has something important to say, Wolverine says it can wait, lets get a move on! So they drive away from Nagasaki...and in what seems like a split second come around the corner into Tokyo, 20 hours drive away on the highway let alone the local roads they seem to like using, where finally the important thing is said. Right.
But stupid nitpicks nobody cares about aside it is quite good, if all rather convoluted and maybe hard to follow who is who.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

I know this will make me unamerican or something but......

I don't care for the spaghetti westerns.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 03, 2013, 08:10:44 AM

Meh, I don't like them very much, either.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 03, 2013, 04:47:58 AM
But I didn't feel I'd get the full effect of Unforgiven unless I had some basic grounding in the genre and the Clint Eastwood persona in particular getting deconstructed.

Sometimes a movie is just a movie, Professor Fleeber.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2013, 05:05:09 AM
an alcoholic has-been (James Dean - duh)

Dean Martin   :secret:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Out of Leone's westerns I like Once Upon A Time In The West the best. While the Dollar trilogy may be more entertaining, OUATITW is beautifully shot and feels epic, showing how the Wild West makes room for civilization. Bronson, Robards and Fonda are at the top of their game here.

After seeing it, I thought that if John Ford had made a Spaghetti Western it would have been "Once Upon a Time in the West."  (If Martin Scorsese had made one it would have been "Once Upon a Time in America."  ;) )  Given that I'm surprised that you picked "Rio Bravo" as your favorite movie rather than "The Searchers."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Like all olds, my favorite western is High Noon.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 03, 2013, 08:13:43 AM

Though there are some great well known ones and great not so well known ones like "The Great Silence".

The Trinity series is a favorite of mine. Spaghetti western that spoosf spaghetti westerns. They dont take themselves too seriously.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

So I'm watching Seven Samurai (again? hard to say), got to the intermission and it's way fucking rad so far.

But that "Are you a girl?" part in movies always drives me up a wall.

Yes, she's a fucking girl, you blind Robert Vaughn samurai motherfucker.  She's a mega-hot girl and she's the only girl with a decent haircut in this whole time period.  For fuck's sake.

Also, do you think shaving your head to mimic male pattern baldness will ever come back? :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Hakws/Wayne also did Rio Lobo and El Dorado together, westerns that are similar in tone, but don't quite reach the same quality (though RObert Mitchum as drunkard sheriff in El Dorado is good fun).

Also, the Hawks/Wayne movie Hatari is highly recommended.

See "Red River" if you haven't yet; it's Mutiny on the Chuck Wagon as directed by Howard Hawks, starring John Wayne and Montgomery Clift.

Admiral Yi

Rewatched the last third of 3:10 to Yuma last night.

The first time I watched it I thought it was a travesty. [spoiler]Russell Crowe cooperating with Christian Bale to take himself to prison, gunning down his own crew because he got such a big boner for Bale.[/spoiler]

That stuff still grates [spoiler]particularly the scene in which Crowe stops choking Bale to death because of his heart-wrenching tale of cowardice[/spoiler], but the part that's left succeeds pretty well in the crucible of the Western genre, which is to say heavily armed men negotiating with each other.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 03, 2013, 08:13:43 AM

You guys are not American.  Fucking commie bastards.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on August 03, 2013, 07:14:14 PM
You guys are not American.  Fucking commie bastards.

The editing is usually atrocious.  And the dubbing sucks.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2013, 05:58:03 PM
Rewatched the last third of 3:10 to Yuma last night.

The first time I watched it I thought it was a travesty. [spoiler]Russell Crowe cooperating with Christian Bale to take himself to prison, gunning down his own crew because he got such a big boner for Bale.[/spoiler]

That stuff still grates [spoiler]particularly the scene in which Crowe stops choking Bale to death because of his heart-wrenching tale of cowardice[/spoiler], but the part that's left succeeds pretty well in the crucible of the Western genre, which is to say heavily armed men negotiating with each other.

you hate the original too?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".