And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

How much of that hate is justified?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on May 30, 2013, 12:23:12 PM

Dunno.. and suppose I never will since I won't be watching the movie.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

One of the reviewers who was given a splat actually mentions positive things about M Night's early movies.  Though another just lists M Night, Sorry. and points out that this is one of the few movies that didn't use his name boldly in advertising.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2013, 12:36:45 PM

One of the reviewers who was given a splat actually mentions positive things about M Night's early movies.  Though another just lists M Night, Sorry. and points out that this is one of the few movies that didn't use his name boldly in advertising.

Thats the central trope of shyamalan hate, you say how great 6th sense was and then say how crap he has been since then

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

6th Sense wasn't all that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

6th sense was OK....until you sat and reflected, then you realize how shit it was. The reason why no one saw the ending coming is because....there was no reason to suspect that Bruce Willis was a ghost. It made no sense. All the time, did he not realize that no one was talking to him? recognizing him? Did it not dawn on him that he wasn't feeling hungry anymore? Or tired? That he  didn't need to take a piss anymore? Twist endings are fine when you can go back and go "aaah, I see." Like that ghost movie with Nicole Kidman. But this one made you go, "Huh?"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Here be spoilers

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2013, 01:21:14 PM
6th sense was OK....until you sat and reflected, then you realize how shit it was. The reason why no one saw the ending coming is because....there was no reason to suspect that Bruce Willis was a ghost. It made no sense. All the time, did he not realize that no one was talking to him? recognizing him? Did it not dawn on him that he wasn't feeling hungry anymore? Or tired? That he  didn't need to take a piss anymore? Twist endings are fine when you can go back and go "aaah, I see." Like that ghost movie with Nicole Kidman. But this one made you go, "Huh?"

I saw it coming. That dinner with his wife was the giveaway. She wasn't looking at him or avoiding looking at him, all her comments were delayed and not directly responsive to his, she showed no recognition that he was there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Is Dune going to get better or will it continue to be utter crap? I was 20 minutes before I stopped.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Quote from: Liep on May 30, 2013, 01:27:42 PM
Is Dune going to get better or will it continue to be utter crap? I was 20 minutes before I stopped.

80's dune? Just give up.

Berkut

Wow. That is some serious desire to not like something.

I think back on Sixth Sense, and it makes perfect sense to me that dead people aren't necessarily all that coherent, even to themselves, so I can't say that I ever thought much about whether dead Bruce needed to take a leak or not.

Hell, maybe he DID go take a ghost piss from time to time. Who knows?

That was an excellent film, with one of the best twists I've ever seen in a movie.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

I sometimes wonder about 6th sense if he intended every character to look, sound and feel so uncomfortable or that just happened because of shyamalan. If so it was out of place in Avatar. It did feel right in the Happening and the Village (didn't watch lady in the water or unbreakable or signs) though.

Liep

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 30, 2013, 01:28:58 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 30, 2013, 01:27:42 PM

80's dune? Just give up.

Yeah, is there a better version?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

There are a couple sci fi channel mini series from a few years ago. I thought they were boring.