TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2013, 03:45:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2013, 03:27:52 PM
Ide's review makes me want to punch him in the nuts, and that's the first time I've ever felt that way about Ide. :)

I feel he was punished enough by writing that overly long piece that said more about the reviewer than the movie ostensibly being reviewed.

Pray tell. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2013, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 18, 2013, 04:37:51 PM
Wait, you people read Ide's reviews?  :nelson:
:blush:

It's because you're a good and
Intelligent man
Despite your desire to pummel
My sack
:hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2013, 05:34:09 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2013, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 18, 2013, 04:37:51 PM
Wait, you people read Ide's reviews?  :nelson:
:blush:

It's because you're a good and
Intelligent man
Despite your desire to pummel
My sack
:hug:

Thanks, lettuce.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

FUCK YOU
I AM ON A PHONE
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2013, 11:01:45 PM
Wrong.  It's completely uncorrelated.  Fanboys hated Watchmen, the best of all superhero films, but they loved the Dark Knight trilogy, which despite the softened heart I've developed for it, is problematic at best and produced only one movie worth praising without heaps of qualification.
Watchmen is a dreadful film. It's boring.

The Dark Knight films (I've not seen the last one) are good, solid superhero films. I, personally, think Batman is still the best of the whole lot, but they're still very good.

QuoteThat's where Sheilbh's thesis falls apart--if this were anything else, I'd dislike it much more.
My thesis is that generally the more fans of the original hate it, the better a film it'll be.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2013, 07:00:41 PM
My thesis is that generally the more fans of the original hate it, the better a film it'll be.

So you enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk then?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2013, 07:00:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2013, 11:01:45 PM
Wrong.  It's completely uncorrelated.  Fanboys hated Watchmen, the best of all superhero films, but they loved the Dark Knight trilogy, which despite the softened heart I've developed for it, is problematic at best and produced only one movie worth praising without heaps of qualification.
Watchmen is a dreadful film. It's boring.

The Dark Knight films (I've not seen the last one) are good, solid superhero films. I, personally, think Batman is still the best of the whole lot, but they're still very good.

:yes:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 18, 2013, 07:04:03 PM
So you enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk then?
A bad film can still be a bad film :P

The problem I have is I think there are lots of films that reboots or comic books that could be good or great but are overly reverential. They're normally decent enough adaptations but I don't think they're really great films and normally I feel it's because there's too much respect for the source.

I'm still waiting and hoping for even a decent video game adaptation though :(
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2013, 07:13:13 PM
A bad film can still be a bad film :P

The problem I have is I think there are lots of films that reboots or comic books that could be good or great but are overly reverential. They're normally decent enough adaptations but I don't think they're really great films and normally I feel it's because there's too much respect for the source.

I'm still waiting and hoping for even a decent video game adaptation though :(

In Watchmen's case (and V for Vendetta as well since we are talking about bad Alan Moore movies) that reverence is strictly for the visual style of the source material and are actually pretty lousy adaptations of everything else.  Watchmen completely loses the "these are human beings who are quite a bit crazy underneath their masks" in Snyder's drooling over "watch this normal human hero punch through a cement wall because, well, isn't that cool?!?!"

Barrister

I quite liked Watchmen. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on May 18, 2013, 05:13:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2013, 03:42:29 PM
Admiral Yi has joined the No Punch in Ide's Nuts Faction.
Yi has joined part of the problem faction.

EMBARGO! Ed runs barter town!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Breakfast Club

I'm going to knock your dick in the dirt.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom