News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorClanker

Speaking of Potts, I rewatched Who's Harry Crumb? a couple of days ago - I had forgotten how awful Annie Potts' character was... :menace:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Kleves

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 11:02:11 PM
Hannibal: [spoiler]How does a man cut off chunks of his own back while hanging in a barn?[/spoiler]
You can't think about things like that too much; the show can't stand that kind of scrutiny. To enjoy it, you have to just kind of go with it.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 11:02:11 PM
Hannibal: [spoiler]How does a man cut off chunks of his own back while hanging in a barn?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
I figured he cut himself first while being partially hanged, then he raised himself with some sort of deadweight, possibly.  I remember asking myself the same question, but then, I don't pay much attention to all that.  Hannibal's constant cooking makes me nervous, so I'm not as focused as I should be...[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 13, 2013, 07:50:14 PM
Started watching Hannibal. I like it.
It took me a while to figure out what was that weird elk dream.  I finally figured it out this week.

[spoiler]Was it always so obvious or did I simply never noticed the statue in Hannibal's office?[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on May 14, 2013, 01:52:26 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 13, 2013, 07:50:14 PM
Started watching Hannibal. I like it.
It took me a while to figure out what was that weird elk dream.  I finally figured it out this week.

[spoiler]Was it always so obvious or did I simply never noticed the statue in Hannibal's office?[/spoiler]

Well, there was one time when Will was in his office and picked it up and looked at it. So, yeah, I think you're supposed to notice it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Star Trek: Into Darkness - visually stunning (imax 3D), relatively decently constructed plot, but despite best efforts by the cast the plot seems a bit all over the place and the personal side of things feels weak.

Between ST:ID and IM3, the latter has the much better human story to tell.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Also watching Endeavour. I love it. It's filling a Poirot shaped hole in my life.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

On the reccommendation of my dad I watched the first episode of a show named Banshee.
Meh.
Never trust the recommendations of a man who thinks Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift, is a good movie.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2013, 09:11:32 PM
Never trust the recommendations of a man who thinks Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift, is a good movie.

:lol: :x

Syt

Quote from: Syt on May 14, 2013, 04:52:52 PM
Star Trek: Into Darkness - visually stunning (imax 3D), relatively decently constructed plot, but despite best efforts by the cast the plot seems a bit all over the place and the personal side of things feels weak.

Between ST:ID and IM3, the latter has the much better human story to tell.

P.S.: If you're alluring to the probably most iconic scene of the original franchise, make sure it carries enough emotional impact and doesn't (partly) come off as parody. Foreshadowing is good, but if you do it so blatantly that you go into the scene knowing it'll have no practical consequences it makes the whole thing a pointless set-piece. [spoiler]And Spock shouting "KHAAAAAN!" made me cringe.[/spoiler]

Also, I found Spock a bit off and too emotional. Some of the Uhura/Spock dialogue didn't help. I'm not a big fan of their romance subplot. Cumberbatch is very good in his scenes, especially when he can glare/talk menacingly. Though it's amazing [spoiler]that they picked someone who looks even less Indian than Ricardo Montalban to play Khan.[/spoiler]

My favorite character this time was Scotty who gets some decent scenes and lines. And Alice Eve is nice to look at.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

[spoiler]Also, why did it have to be Khan's blood that they needed to save Kirk in the end? Wouldn't any of the other human popsicles do? If they had to test all 72 if their blood worked as well - there's not really a rush, because Kirk is in a cryotube, and we've already established that you can stay in those for centuries.[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on May 14, 2013, 04:52:52 PM

That bar got set pretty low the first time around.  I'm still looking forward to it, but given that this one was co-written not only by noted retards Orci and Kurtzman but also Damon "I tricked a doddering old man into making my Space Jockey fan fiction I wrote when I was 17" Lindeloff, we'll see.

QuoteBetween ST:ID and IM3, the latter has the much better human story to tell.

Well, that bodes well.  I really hope this is just your appreciation of the Downey post-dope show, without which Iron Man 3 would immediately devolve from fun tripe to totally unwatchable garbage.  P.S. Fuck Europe.  We made it, and you get to see it first?  I thought we won the war.

Quickies:

Rocky Horror Picture Show (197x).  I'd either never seen this before at all, or had seen only part of it when I was circa ten years old, which is, as you know, not an appropriate age for the material, the appropriate age for the material being thirteen years old.  Nonetheless, it's Greece's second favorite movie, so I bought it for her, and I watched it, and a good time was had by all.  Did you know that Susan Sarandon has or at least had nearly a perfect body, on top of her ideologically correct stances on most issues?  Isn't she great?  The titular Rocky Horror also shames me into doing more situps.  B+

Tron (198x).  A beautiful and unique cinematic experience hung upon a very thin story, but it's an American classic despite a linear plot with few real complications and a very occasionally annoying score.  I was happy to see it again, although my true goal was to refresh myself in anticipation of finally mustering up the interest to see Tron: Legacy after a second viewing of director Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion, which I've really become rather fond of despite its low nature as little more than a greatest hits of American science fiction cover album.  B+

Moonrise Kingdom (2012).  Featuring perhaps the best child performances I've ever seen and one of the best onscreen romances shared between them, Moonrise Kingdom was the second best movie I saw last year, and is the second best movie I've seen this year, too, despite some nice tries--and only second because I rewatched Django the other week.  Excepting Bottle Rockets and The Fantastic Mr. Fox, to which I cannot speak, but including the already-amazing Rushmore, Tannenbaums, and The Life Aquatic, and also including the unspeakable bore that was the Darjeeling Limited, Wes Anderson's finest achievement, to date, and probably ever, because Moonrise Kingdom really scrapes the side of perfect.  And yet, some movie about Razgovory if he did some push-ups and combed his hair wins an Oscar, probably because Moonrise Kingdom came out in May.  If you haven't seen this, and you don't want to, you're probably some kind of asshole. A+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Stop editing your posts, dammit.  Type them out on Word, proof, then copy and paste.

And I've already discussed Moonrise Kingdom at length, and it's a solid B.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 02:09:04 AM
Stop editing your posts, dammit.  Type them out on Word, proof, then copy and paste.

I was just fixing grammar and also adding some hate speech in regards to the Star Trek screenwriters.  Noble causes, I'm sure you'll agree.

QuoteAnd I've already discussed Moonrise Kingdom at length, and it's a solid B.

My God, it's full of perfectly framed shots.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)