News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I can only watch old black and white films in the morning or the afternoon.  They put me to sleep at night.  I think it's an old man thing.

Ideologue

Oblivion (2013).  If it weren't based on the true events of Tom Cruise's life, I'd call it the most derivative good movie I think I've ever seen.

Indeed, almost nothing is not either an homage or lift from another science fiction film--to the extent I half expected Morgan Freeman, when he showed up, to possess psychic powers and worship the bomb.  There's also a direct and almost actionable theft from a very recent movie, but I won't name it because to do so would be to spoil Oblivion.

And as I said, Oblivion is a good movie.  It's throwback science fiction with modern special effects, and a reasonably affecting emotional arc to it that I found moving.

As for problems stemming from the film itself, Olga Kurlyenko is almost but not quite wasted.  I think she gets to act in two scenes.  It's a Goddamned shame, because the last time I saw her, as the not-Bond Girl in what might be my favorite Bond film, the devastatingly underappreciated Quantum of Solace, she was a bit of a revelation.  She does not have much to do here.  What she does have to do--make you believe she loves Tom Cruise--she does well, and occasionally extremely well.  She made me believe I wish she loved me, that's for sure.  Andrea Riseborough is not wasted, though, I'll give them that.  And there is one unbelievably sexy and well-made scene featuring her.

Nonetheless, Kleves may be a closeted homosexual.

On a minor note, I almost let it get to me when they uncorked their first scientific blooper about thirty seconds in, as Cruise explains via narration how his job is to oversee the fusion plants that draw hydrogen from Earth's oceans to transport fusion energy to... Titan.  OK.  I also question why [spoiler]pseudo-Galactus at the end there needed to steal Earth's hydrogen, when Jupiter and Saturn have about ten thousand times more hydrogen, more easily extracted, between them, and when she had to begin with the energy required to GRAVITATIONALLY UNBIND THE FUCKING MOON.[/spoiler]

Anyway, it's a beautiful film, and though many of the twists are obvious if you're a genre fan, they remain well-executed and occasionally quite affecting.  Seeing Oblivion for the first time is much like seeing a great movie for the second time.

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2013, 08:17:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2013, 08:06:40 PM
Would like to see a decent film tonight, don't seem to be able to find one.   :hmm:

You ever see Margin Call?  Nifty, nifty movie with a great cast.

No I'll check it out. :cheers:

As it was, I ended up watching the rest of 'The Hobbit' - marginally OK.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2013, 09:50:04 PM
:lol: Dude, its the red hair + the accent. Yum.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on April 21, 2013, 10:07:53 PM

What about her feet, Martinus?

:P

No, she's a lovely woman.  Kurylenko's body is more my type and, well, brunette.

I also need to see Malick's new joint with her in it, To The Wonder.  'Course, I've still got to see Tree of Life. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Wait, Ide is calling someone ELSE a closeted homosexual?  Ide, the guy who likes his women to look like young boys?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Women with eating disorders do not look like young boys.  That's a myth.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on April 21, 2013, 10:07:53 PM

She had black hair in all the pics I saw.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I also question why [spoiler]pseudo-Galactus at the end there needed to steal Earth's hydrogen, when Jupiter and Saturn have about ten thousand times more hydrogen, more easily extracted, between them, and when she had to begin with the energy required to GRAVITATIONALLY UNBIND THE FUCKING MOON.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]What makes you think they want to steal Earth's hydrogen? I think they did a good job of simply leaving the REAL reasons the Tetians are doing what they are doing unknown. We have no idea why they want to do whatever it is they are doing, and that is best, because then we can't pick it apart. The reason given to the remaining humans for why they are doing it is obviously bullshit, but that is ok - it only has to be kind of plausible to them.[/spoiler]
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Hm.  Fair enough.  They stated it as fact, but I guess it need not have been, you're right.

Oh, one thing I wanted to say about Oblivion:

[spoiler]I think that the ending could have been cut to be far more powerful than it was, don't you?  It didn't need that narration, it didn't need any lines.  Just show, as Cruise and Freeman's character are dying--which was a nice enough twist--Tom Cruise 52 shows up at the cabin.  Then credits.  It felt like a pulled punch for the benefit of people who would've said "whut?" and it was unnecessary and undermining. :( [/spoiler]
Kinemalogue

Berkut

Agreed. It was a little anti-climatic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Vikings- OK, that's too much, Uppsala as a Tibetan monestary in the mountains.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2013, 01:57:52 AM
Don't be raciss.  He's either under "C" or "E" in the Rolodex. 

Anyway, best trailer released for "Man of Steel" yet--

http://youtu.be/T6DJcgm3wNY
Wow, looks way better than the earlier one I saw.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

We're getting a Sin City 2?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2013, 03:44:36 AM
Vikings- OK, that's too much, Uppsala as a Tibetan monestary in the mountains.
It kinda looks similar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_at_Uppsala
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.