Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2013, 07:58:39 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2013, 07:46:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2013, 07:31:58 PM
Got Django Unchained this morning. :)

Can you explain it to me then?

I watched it and I didn't get it.

What's there to get?  Southerners of the antebellum South are inherently evil, and it would've been great if a white guy from Germany and a black guy from God Knows Where, Africa, had killed a metric ton's worth of them.

Agreed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

What's there to get?  Southerners of the antebellum South are inherently evil, and it would've been great if a white guy from Germany and a black guy from God Knows Where, Africa, had killed a metric ton's worth of them.

Yeah, the only bad guys more fun to watch getting whacked than Nazis.

Sheilbh

I miss South African baddies :(
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 16, 2013, 08:30:50 PM

I would have thought you'd go for something involving China.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 16, 2013, 08:30:50 PM

I was thinking today about why I enjoyed Django so much more than Basterds.  I think it honestly might be the setting--not the Holocaust, so much, as rather the continent.  It's really surprising how well armored warfare worked in the time period given that when it wasn't raining it was drizzling in Europe from 1939 all the way through V-E Day.

Django takes place on a succession of very pleasant days. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2013, 08:15:43 PM
Mmm....Murder She Wrote you say?

yeah, just like MSW they put all the clues to the murder early on, including the red herring, and gave you a few seconds to realize who was the murderer before Rita blurted it out.

Edit: BTW, if they reboot MSW Julie Benz could be a good Jessica Fletcher.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2013, 08:34:12 PM
I would have thought you'd go for something involving China.

Yeah, nothing like a good, old fashioned Korean War flick now and then.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2013, 08:42:52 PM
Edit: BTW, if they reboot MSW Julie Benz could be a good Jessica Fletcher.

Definitely a hotter one.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2013, 08:32:59 PM
I miss South African baddies :(

You'll always have Lethal Weapon 2.

Man, that blonde was a hottie.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on April 16, 2013, 07:29:05 PM
Dvd of Jethro Tull performing at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970.  :bowler:

Nice.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Season 3 of Shameless (US) was awesome. Thought S.2 made a bad turn, but this season brought it back up. Nice, moving finale too.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 16, 2013, 07:56:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 16, 2013, 08:52:06 AM
How was Defiance?
I saw maybe... 4 minutes of it and I'm pretty sure every single line uttered was an almost direct ripoff of dialogue between Princess Leia and Han Solo when he's getting ready to leave after getting paid and she's berating him for being a mercenary and not caring about anyone.
finally watched it.

It was similar, with the roles inverted, the guy staying, the girl leaving, the girl coming back to save the day (sort of).

Still enjoyable, imho.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000).  I forgot what a stone cold bummer this movie is.  Confucius say, "JUST FUCK ALREADY."

And they never do. :weep:  A

P.S.: There's a part, and maybe it's bad translation in the subtitles--and I thought maybe they're making fun of her at first, referring to her as "young master," but there is definitely a "he" pronoun thrown in there--where some guys believe Zhang Ziyi is a man.  People flying: believable.  Zhang Ziyi passing as a man: not possible in any gravity field.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Django Unchained= Garbage
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2013, 07:46:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2013, 07:31:58 PM
Got Django Unchained this morning. :)

Can you explain it to me then?

I watched it and I didn't get it.

Yes, and it's about as conventional a hero's journey you can get; they even hang a lampshade on it with the legend of Siegfried. Hero, removed from his usual surroundings (slavery) by a mentor who sets him on a quest to complete himself (rescue his missing wife). It follows the classical structure closely, and that probably contributes to its broad acclaim. Which goes to show that a good story can make a well known plot fresh and entertaining.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.