News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Man, fuck you, USPS.  How am I supposed to pick anything up if you close at 5?  Lazy quasi-government knobs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2013, 06:28:56 PM
Man, fuck you, USPS.  How am I supposed to pick anything up if you close at 5?  Lazy quasi-government knobs.

Oh, they're govmint all right. Typical govmint workers. :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Angels and Daemons- Had this lying around for a while but finally got around to watching it a few days ago, completely coincidentally given its subject matter :lol:
Quite universally lame.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2013, 09:05:22 AM
:huh:

The Saxons did indeed raid the coast of Britain.
I thought it was a more a movement bringing settlers behind the hordes, but I won't dispute English history with people more knowledgeable than me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on March 14, 2013, 12:53:01 PM
I was referring to the sheriff they meet ep 3. He had armed men with him in equal numbers to Ragnar and his men.
I haven't seen this episode yet, it hasn't aired.  I didn't bother going on the web site, this stuff is usually only for the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I'm watching the first Harry Potter for the first time in a while. Maybe its my HD TV but...damn these effects look super fake.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I remember the Sorcerer's Stone effects looked bad by the standards of 10 years ago.  I think they improved in later movies.
PDH!

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on March 15, 2013, 08:39:11 AM
I'm watching the first Harry Potter for the first time in a while. Maybe its my HD TV but...damn these effects look super fake.

No, it's real magic.

:rolleyes: Jesus Christ.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2013, 08:36:53 AM
Note 2: Saxons and Jutes invasion dates from 400 years earlier.  As we can see, they are not all ignorant of lands in the west, but they are skeptical, Saxons and Jutes weren't raiders like the Vikings, it was more of a migration, IIRC, so maybe most of them did not return to their original lands.  Also, if they are on the east side of Denmark, they probably traded/raided with the Baltic states rather than west.

That isn't actually completely confirmed. That they raided that is. It is unclear if the Saxons were attacking or, like the france on the continental channel coast, they were settled barbarians providing defense loyally against the frisians.

http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artsou/notitialist.htm

Quotecomes litoris Saxonici per Britannias The Notitia is the only historical source for the Saxon Shore, an otherwise unknown military command. The Saxon Shore consisted of several forts built around southeast Britain in the later third and fourth centuries, which were probably started by the usurper Carausius or even earlier. The explanation for the term 'Saxon' is not clear. It might mean 'the coast defended against the Saxons', but also 'the coast defended by the Saxons',  or 'the coast settled by the Saxons'. Equally enigmatic is the exact role of the command. Though mostly explained as a coastal defensive system, the inclusion in the Notitia might also warrant an system for tax-collection! This is based mainly on the structure of the forts, which seem to be less useful as naval stations than warehouses for storing taxes. The map (right) represents the coastal command of the Count, showing the forts of the Saxon Shore. Starting from the top (l-r) is Othona (Bradwell), then Dubris (Dover), Lemannis (Lympne), Branodunum (Brancaster), Gariannum (Burgh), Regulbium (Reculver), Rutupiae (Richborough), Anderida (Pevensey) and Portus Adurni (Portchester).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on March 15, 2013, 03:21:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 15, 2013, 08:39:11 AM

No, it's real magic.

:rolleyes: Jesus Christ.

:huh: It's not
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: Viking on March 15, 2013, 04:33:01 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2013, 08:36:53 AM
Note 2: Saxons and Jutes invasion dates from 400 years earlier.  As we can see, they are not all ignorant of lands in the west, but they are skeptical, Saxons and Jutes weren't raiders like the Vikings, it was more of a migration, IIRC, so maybe most of them did not return to their original lands.  Also, if they are on the east side of Denmark, they probably traded/raided with the Baltic states rather than west.

That isn't actually completely confirmed. That they raided that is. It is unclear if the Saxons were attacking or, like the france on the continental channel coast, they were settled barbarians providing defense loyally against the frisians.

http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artsou/notitialist.htm

Quotecomes litoris Saxonici per Britannias The Notitia is the only historical source for the Saxon Shore, an otherwise unknown military command. The Saxon Shore consisted of several forts built around southeast Britain in the later third and fourth centuries, which were probably started by the usurper Carausius or even earlier. The explanation for the term 'Saxon' is not clear. It might mean 'the coast defended against the Saxons', but also 'the coast defended by the Saxons',  or 'the coast settled by the Saxons'. Equally enigmatic is the exact role of the command. Though mostly explained as a coastal defensive system, the inclusion in the Notitia might also warrant an system for tax-collection! This is based mainly on the structure of the forts, which seem to be less useful as naval stations than warehouses for storing taxes. The map (right) represents the coastal command of the Count, showing the forts of the Saxon Shore. Starting from the top (l-r) is Othona (Bradwell), then Dubris (Dover), Lemannis (Lympne), Branodunum (Brancaster), Gariannum (Burgh), Regulbium (Reculver), Rutupiae (Richborough), Anderida (Pevensey) and Portus Adurni (Portchester).

There's some suggestion that at least some of them were invited to act as defenders, who would eventually revolt.

My local Saxon shore fort, Portchester certain is a big ass 'castle' looks like it could hold the camp of a fair few cohorts, indeed there's a later middle ages castle in one corner, and in the opposite a late saxon (?)/11th century church and both  don't really fill out the space much.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

MOTHERFUCKERS

QuoteDear Valued Verizon Customer,

At Verizon, we recognize that providing the most current FiOS® TV programming information goes a long way in delivering the best entertainment experience to our customers. That's why we want to notify you of upcoming changes to the FiOS TV channel lineup in your area.

On or after April 22, 2013, the content provider will replace G4 programming on FiOS TV channel 191 with Esquire TV programming.

•   The content provider will discontinue G4 programming. This content will not be available on FiOS TV or through any other TV programming provider

•   Esquire TV programming will feature gaming and technology and will also span a wide variety of additional content, including entertainment, food, fashion, women, humor, and travel

We thank you for your business and look forward to continuing to provide you with the very best entertainment services.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

Ed Anger

G4 got rebranded. It wasn't Verizon's fault.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

It's the same channel, different name.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Besides, who the hell watches G4?

Nobody apparently.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive