News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

It is like reading the redacted Project Blue Book in here.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I am being [spoiler]polite.[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Bull Durham, Dances With Wolves, and Open Range are on at the same time.  What are the odds of that?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2013, 11:54:21 PM
Bull Durham, Dances With Wolves, and Open Range are on at the same time.  What are the odds of that?

No Message In A Bottle:(

CountDeMoney

Playing WoT with katmai, and watched The Vow.

I've watched plates of pancakes less syrupy. 2 Stupid Meatheads That Couldn't Figure Out That A Wife With Insomnia Means You Can Find Another Wife out of 5 Stupid Meatheads That...well, you know the rest.

Sophie Scholl

Anna Karenina, the newest version with Kiera Knightley (:wub:).  Hmm... a very interesting style used in the movie.  The entirety of the movie is more or less set on/above/below a stage, with constantly changing scenery.  I quite enjoyed the visual presentation.  Having not read the book, I cannot confirm authenticity to the source material, but I found it compelling, if a touch confusing at the start.  For those of you who enjoy lavish set period pieces and interesting film making decisions, I highly recommend it.  I'd be intrigued to hear what others who have seen it thought of it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2013, 06:15:38 AM
But, apart from the license fee not funding BBCW and the BBC having to pay taxes on BBCW profits what substantive differences are there?
BBCW doesn't have a charter setting out its purpose. Rather it's there to maximise profits for the BBC. It's not subject to review by the BBC Trust or the government for appointments. It doesn't make programs it just sells or broadcasts them.

For all of those reasons it's branched out in ways the BBC wouldn't, for example it owns the Lonely Planet guides.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 24, 2013, 06:31:17 AM
Having not read the book, I cannot confirm authenticity to the source material,

Does she throw herself in front of a train?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 24, 2013, 07:49:02 AM

That's the only bit I remember of it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 11:20:49 PM
BTW, Cabin in the Woods is way good but (and this is sort of a spoiler, maybe?) [spoiler]it is not really a horror movie, and is best viewed as a clever metafictional comedy, albeit less full of its own total bullshit than Seven Psychopaths, the other clever metafictional comedy of 2012[/spoiler].
You know, I just saw that on TV this morning, and I have to say that it really wasn't that bad.  Bradley Whitford and his band of merry men really stole the show.  And Sigourney Weaver was a fun little surprise.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 24, 2013, 07:49:02 AM

Yessir.  Split in half at the waist. :pinch:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Tonight's Top Gear's main sketch was about making an OAP/senior friendly car and then demoed it around Christchurch a local town a few miles from here with reputably the highest pensioner population in the country. All very entertaining.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"