News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 03, 2013, 02:33:00 PM
Watched the first episode of Netflix's "House of Cards", and thought I should see the original British version, which I had never seen.

Very good drama, and performance by Ian Richardson.  But all the female characters?  Holy daddy-issues Batman...you'd think all women had them.  :rolleyes:

Mattie Storin was my first case of distance lust as a young teen. Then again, the daddy issues bit actually made sense there and it didn't seem contrived. FU was impressive to me as he was to her.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

I watched all 13 episodes already. Netflix did a really great job. It feels somehow wrong that I watched the whole season in two days and now have to wait a year or so for the next. Maybe I should have watched it over the course of a couple weeks.

Also the music is perfect.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

there was this slate article on how netflix had all these metrics on how people watched saved tv, where they paused, where they re-viewed, where they stopped watching and stuff and that they were using this knowledge to make this show..

so, I've been watching it with pacing, framing, sex scenes, witty lines etc. in mind.

I have to say that the pacing has been tight. There is always something happening plot wise, there are no pauses, not great set pieces, no "star" moments they are advancing the story. I think it helps that they are not trying to fit it into a 23 or 46 minute tv slot or whatever.

After 3 episodes and 1 and half hour before superbowl pre-game covereage starts I have to say that

A) it is not the same as the original and does not try - it is more like "inspired by this really great english tv show" rather than a remake.

B) the pacing is excellent I at no point get annoyed bored or tempted to fast forward

C) sorry Kate Mara I still :wub: Suzannah Harker - at least they didn't rape my puberty by naming her Mattie Storin.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

This evenings 'Top Gear', they took three GT cars on a road trip across the Western USA, via La Vagas, San Francisco, Palm Springs and the Mexican border, not a classic but mildly amusing.    :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on February 03, 2013, 02:51:03 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 03, 2013, 02:33:00 PM
Watched the first episode of Netflix's "House of Cards", and thought I should see the original British version, which I had never seen.

Very good drama, and performance by Ian Richardson.  But all the female characters?  Holy daddy-issues Batman...you'd think all women had them.  :rolleyes:

Mattie Storin was my first case of distance lust as a young teen. Then again, the daddy issues bit actually made sense there and it didn't seem contrived. FU was impressive to me as he was to her.

I keep wondering if/when they are going to refer to Kevin Spacey as "FU".

I had looked a little while ago to see is the UK version was on Netflix Canada - and it wasn't.  I only ever saw the show once - and even then only the second and third mini-series, not the first.  So I'd really like to watch it.

But when I looked on Feb 1, now they had both the new and old series.  It was tough deciding which to watch, but I'm going with the new one first.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Kleves

Quote from: Syt on February 03, 2013, 11:06:06 AM
Quote from: Kleves on February 03, 2013, 10:34:05 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 03, 2013, 05:39:49 AM
Am I wrong? Am I overanalizing this?
If you're analizing a TV show at all, I'd say you're overdoing it.
Are you saying there's no TV production, ever, that's worthy of analysis?
No, analyzing things is fine. But I draw the line at putting things into your anus ("analizing" things, if you will).

Basically, I was just making fun of viking's spelling.  :P
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

PRC

Saw the cop buddy movie "End of Watch".  Pretty good, i'm surprised it didn't get nominated for anything at the Oscars.

Razgovory

Watching Prometheus.  This is Godawful.  Why can't scientists in movies act even a little bit like real scientists?  Or at least like real people.  The people depicted in this are callous, stupid, and more then a little crazy.  I'm only a hour into it and cataloging all the bizarre behavior of the characters would take half the night.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2013, 05:56:51 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 03, 2013, 04:28:48 PM
Off to see Warm Bodies.

Twilight with zombies?
1: Why
2: Report

Bella: Oh, I'm so glad I'm with Edward
Bella's BFF: Why is that?
Bella: He doesn't want me for my body, he wants me for my brains :wub:

?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Looper- Pretty good, though the ending was a bit of a lame cop out.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

sbr

Warm bodies looked like it could be decent if it was a comedy or spoof.